Competitor Group, Inc.
|Type||Privately held company|
|Industry||Sports marketing and Event management|
|Headquarters||Mira Mesa, San Diego, California|
|Key people||Paul F. Walsh
|Products||Rock 'n' Roll Marathon Series, Competitor magazine, Triathlete magazine, VeloNews, Inside Triathlon, Women's Running|
Competitor Group, Inc. is a privately held, for-profit, sports marketing and management company based in Mira Mesa, San Diego, California. The company owns and operates over 40 large scale running, cycling, and triathlon events; of which includes the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon Series. Additionally, the company produces four publications, Competitor magazine; Triathlete magazine; VeloNews; Inside Triathlon; and Women's Running that have a collective circulation of over 700,000. They also own VeloPress, the company's book publishing division. The company is owned by a private equity firm, Calera Capital.
Competitor Group, Inc. (CGI) was formed by Falconhead Capital at the end of 2007 when the firm acquired Elite Racing, an operator of running events in the United States, as well as La Jolla Holding Group, LLC (Triathlete magazine) and Competitor Publishing. In 2008, Falconhead Capital acquired Inside Communications, Inc., owners of VeloNews, Inside Triathlon, adding them to the CGI business portfolio. In November 2012, CGI was sold to the private equity firm Calera Capital.
With the acquisition of Elite Racing, CGI rapidly expanded its event production with the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon Series. In addition to the races already produced under Elite Racing, CGI has purchased under-performing marathon and half-marathon races as well as starting new races around the United States, sometimes receiving large tax breaks in the process.
Events and products
- Competitor magazine
- Rock 'n' Roll Marathon Series
- Carlsbad 5000
- Muddy Buddy series
- NFL Run Series
- Women's Running magazine
- VeloNews magazine
- Veloswap - industry consumer show
- Triathlon magazine
- Inside Triathlon magazine
- TriRock Series - Six triathlon races
- SheROX - Eight race triathlon series
- The Nations Triathlon race
- Endurance Live - industry consumer show
- Siedsma, Andrea (5 April 2010). "Racing Along: Competitor Group Events Help Charities Score". San Diego Business Journal. Retrieved 7 December 2010.
- "Competitor Group, Inc.". Bloomberg, LLP. Retrieved 7 December 2010.
- Carlson, Timothy (December 15, 2013). "Competitor Group Inc. shakes up senior management team". Slowtwitch.com. Retrieved December 16, 2013.
- "CGI Media Kit". Competitor Group, Inc. October 2012. Retrieved November 29, 2012.
- Cody, Tamika (15 September 2010). "Falconhead Recaps Media Biz". Mergers & Acquisitions; Source Media, Inc. Retrieved 7 December 2010.
- Empfield, Dan (November 29, 2012). "Competitor Sold to Calera Capital". Slowtwitch.com. Retrieved December 1, 2012.
- Empfield, Dan (7 January 2008). "Falconhead's Moross confirms purchase of Triathlete, speaks to Slowtwtich". Slowtwitch.com. Retrieved 7 December 2010.
- "The Week In Private Equity: Exits Abound". The Wall Street Journal. 17 September 2010. Retrieved 7 December 2010.
- Empfield, Dan (11 February 2008). "Velo News, Inside Tri sold to Competitor Group". Slowtwitch.com. Retrieved 7 December 2010.
- Perry, Nick (27 June 2009). "Private firm Competitor Group gets tax dollars to stage big-money Rock 'n' Roll Seattle marathon". The Seattle Times. Retrieved 7 December 2010.
- Herzog, Blake (11 November 2010). "City may see rockin', runnin' New Year's". The Desert Sun. Retrieved 7 December 2010.