Venice was started in Venice, California in 1977 by cousins Michael Lennon (born 17 July 1959) and Kipp Lennon (born 12 March 1960). Michael's brother Mark (born 28 March 1963) joined the band in 1978, followed by Kipp's brother Pat (born 9 November 1951) in 1980. Kipp and Pat are two of eleven siblings, and are younger brothers of the Lennon Sisters. Michael and Mark are two of thirteen siblings.
Members of Venice have performed alongside, or recorded with, Bruce Springsteen, Don Henley, Elton John, Heart, Phil Collins, Sting, Melissa Etheridge, Cher, Ozzy Osbourne, Jackson Browne, David Crosby, Stevie Nicks, Billy Idol, Michael McDonald, Dave Mason, Tim Moyer, Chris Isaak, Robin Beck, Kenny Loggins, the Doobie Brothers, Styx, Brian Wilson, the Beach Boys, Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, Bon Jovi, Warren Zevon and Dutch band Yellow Pearl. Tano Costa the original drummer of the band, is son of the Late Don Costa, who has produced to the likes of Frank Sinatra, Paul Anka and many others from the 50's / 60's pop era.
Venice has been featured nationally on such television programs as Entertainment Tonight, Access Hollywood, E! News Daily, CNN's Showbiz Today, Live with Regis and Kathie Lee, The Jerry Lewis Telethon and Rick Dees' Into the Night.
To date, Venice has found their biggest success in The Netherlands. In 2003, the band won an Edison Award (the Dutch version of the Grammy) for Best International Artist, beating out superstars U2 and Coldplay. In that country, Venice's singles are a mainstay on radio, their tours sell out consistently, and they've been guests on countless television programs, most notably Two Meter Sessies, a popular prime-time program that has devoted three entire half-hour episodes to the band; the "Venice - 2 Meter Sessies" CD has gone gold.
The backing vocal duties on Roger Waters 2010 and 2011 tour The Wall Live are being carried out by Venice's Kipp, Mark and Pat Lennon (who replaced Michael following vocal difficulties exhibited during pre-tour rehearsals).
The members of Venice are:
- Kipp Lennon - lead vocals
- Mark Lennon - lead vocals
- Michael Lennon - electric & acoustic guitar, vocals
- Pat Lennon - electric & acoustic guitar, vocals
Others who have performed with Venice include:
- Michael Boehle - percussion
- Martijn Bosman - drums
- Nick Bult - keyboards
- Tano Costa - drums
- Scott Crago - drums / percussion
- Dann Gillen - drums
- Mark Harris - bass guitar
- Chris Horvath - keyboards, guitar & vocals
- Monroe Jones - keyboards
- Matt Laug - drums / percussion
- Ron Manaog - drums
- Rich Mangicaro - percussion
- Paul Mirkovich - keyboards
- Bob Philipse - drums
- Kevin Ricard - percussion
- Alexis Sklarevski - bass
- John Vester - acoustic guitar
- Jamie Wollam - drums
- 2013 - What summer brings - double album
- 2009 - Electric - Live and Amplified
- 2008 - Venice Home Grown
- 2007 - Garage Demos Part III (self-released)
- 2006 - Amsterdam (Universal/Flow)
- 2006 - A Band Called Venice (Flow/Japan)
- 2004 - Pacific Standard Time (Flow)
- 2002 - Welcome To the Rest of Your Life (Columbia)
- 2000 - 2 Meter Sessies (Universal)
- 1999 - Spin Art (Vanguard)
- 1999 - Christmas With Venice (self-released)
- 1997 - Born and Raised (Vanguard)
- 1995 - Garage Demos Part I (self-released)
- 1995 - Garage Demos Part II (self-released)
- 1990 - Venice (album/CD) (Modern/Atlantic)
- 1986 - Do It Yourself (self-released LP)
- Venice Live (At The Royal Carre Theatre)
- Blue Paint (Music Video)
- 2 meter sessions (Harderwijk 1998 and Los Angeles 1999)
- FAQ, official Venice website.