Venice Township, Seneca County, Ohio
|Venice Township, Ohio|
Location of Venice Township in Seneca County.
|• Total||39.6 sq mi (102.6 km2)|
|• Land||39.6 sq mi (102.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||928 ft (283 m)|
|• Density||47.2/sq mi (18.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086957|
Venice Township is one of the fifteen townships of Seneca County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 1,871 people in the township, 916 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southeastern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Reed Township - north
- Norwich Township, Huron County - northeast
- Richmond Township, Huron County - east
- Cranberry Township, Crawford County - southeast
- Chatfield Township, Crawford County - southwest
- Bloom Township - west
- Scipio Township - northwest corner
The village of Attica is located in northern Venice Township.
Name and history
It is the only Venice Township statewide.
Venice Township was organized in 1829.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Seneca County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 459. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.