Ventana Medical Systems
|Founder||Thomas Grogan, M.D.|
|Thomas Grogan, M.D (Founder)
Daniel L. Zabrowski (President)
Number of employees
|Parent||F. Hoffman-La Roche Ltd.|
Ventana Medical Systems, Inc. is a global leader in tissue diagnostics. The company develops, manufactures, and markets instrument reagent systems that automate tissue and slide staining in anatomic pathology laboratories. These products assist in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer and infectious diseases.
Pathologist and University of Arizona professor Thomas Grogan, M.D., founded Ventana in 1985. The company launched its first instrument reagent system in 1991, and held an Initial Public Offering (IPO) in 1996, trading under the symbol VMSI on the NASDAQ stock exchange.
In 2007, Ventana acquired Spring BioScience Corp, a developer and supplier of monoclonal antibodies. That same year, Ventana rejected a hostile takeover bid from Roche Holding AG for $75 a share. In February 2008, Roche acquired Ventana with a cash offer of $89.50 per share ($3.4 billion).
- Thomas Grogan, M.D., Founder, Ventana Medical Systems, Inc.
- Daniel L. Zabrowski, President, Ventana Medical Systems, Inc., Head, Roche Tissue Diagnostics
Ventana manufactures products within eight areas:
- Immunohistochemistry (IHC)
- in situ hybridization (ISH)
- Hematoxylin and eosin (H&E)
- Special stains
- Personalized medicine
- Digital pathology
- Image analysis
- Ventana Medical Systems, Inc. (Yahoo!)
- "Ventana Medical gets Congressional props". Inside Tucson Business. 2012-04-23. Retrieved 2012-10-20.
- "Ventana Medical Systems Inc". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2012-11-09.
- Doherty, Dermot (January 22, 2008). Roche’s Higher Offer Wins Ventana After Seven Months (Update11). Bloomberg. Retrieved November 3, 2012.
- "Ventana Medical Systems". BioPortfolio. Retrieved 2012-11-03.
- Sherman, Debra (2007-09-05). "Ventana buys Spring Bioscience, raises outlook". Reuters. Retrieved 2012-11-03.
|This United States manufacturing company–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|