|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010)|
Screenshot of the Ventrilo 3.0.5 client
|Developer(s)||Brian Knapp, Maryville, Illinois|
|Initial release||August 3, 2002|
3.0.3 (Server) / August 24, 2008
|Operating system||Mac OS X (32-bit only), Microsoft Windows (Client)
Microsoft Windows and variants of Unix (Server)
|Type||Internet voice client and server|
The Ventrilo client and server are both available as freeware for use with up to 8 people on the same server. Rented servers can maintain up to 400 people. The Ventrilo server is available under a limited license for Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X and is accessible on FreeBSD Kopi, Solaris and NetBSD. The client is available for Windows and Mac OS X. However, the Mac OS X client is still unable to properly use most servers because of a lack of support for the sparsely used GSM codec. Flagship Industries does not offer a Linux Ventrilo client.
Ventrilo is sometimes used by gamers who use the software to communicate with other players on the same team of a multiplayer game, or for general chat.
Ventrilo is often criticized for its high latency and lack of support. Flagship Industries Inc. only sells licenses to businesses, which may impede on those who simply want to host Ventrilo servers on arbitrary hardware.
- Flagship, Industries Inc.
- So How many users can I have? (Ventrilo Tech Support)
- "Ventrilo for Conversation". botwr.com. Best of the Web Review. 12 Aug 2008. Retrieved 25 Feb 2013.
- "Ventrilo Linux/ Unix client Pending Release". Ventrilo Tech Support. 30 May 2005. Retrieved 25 February 2013. "The Ventrilo / Linux client tech support forum is here pending the official release of the client. At the current time we do not have an official release date. Once we do it will be posted here..."
- "RANT: Ventrilo IS BAD".
- "Copyright Infringement: Flagship Industries, Inc. v. John Doe". Illinois Southern District Court: RFC Express. 2 May 2008. Retrieved 19 February 2013. "Court Case Number: 3:08-cv-00327-GPM-DGW"
- "Copyright Infringement: Flagship Industries, Inc. v. John Doe". Illinois Northern District Court: RFC Express. 6 Mar 2009. Retrieved 25 February 2013. "Court Case Number: 1:09-cv-01429"