Venus Zine was a quarterly internationally circulated magazine covering women in music, film, art, entertainment, literature, fashion, indie culture and DIY culture. It was published from 1995 through 2010.
Venuszine.com was the daily updated online companion to the magazine. Venus Zine and venuszine.com featured interviews with artists including Yoko Ono, Patti Smith, and Kim Deal in addition to edgy and up-and-coming musicians, designers, writers, actresses, and DIY entrepreneurs.
Venus Zine, headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, was founded in East Lansing, Michigan in the Michigan State University dorm room of Amy Schroeder in 1995. It began as a photocopied, black and white, stapled fanzine but over the years grew into a full-size glossy publication. In 2006, it was bought by two magazine publishers, Anne Hartnett and Marci Sepulveda, who also publish Chicago Agent magazine. The magazine covered music, fashion, and culture. The readership is both male and female, but most articles are written by women.
In April 2010, the magazine was relaunched under new ownership of Sarah Beardsley who acquired the publication in February.
Articles of note
In response to a 2003 article by Rolling Stone titled "The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time", which included only two female guitarists, Venus Zine published their own "Greatest Female Guitarists Of All Time" list. Put together through nominations by experts Abigail Aronson Zocher, Kenneth Bays, Calvin Johnson, Evelyn McDonnell, Amy Phillips, Jaan Uhelszki, and Nan Warshaw, the list features the 46 women deemed worthy of being called the greatest including: Joan Jett, Odetta, Carrie Brownstein, Memphis Minnie and Chrissie Hynde.
|Year||Quarter||Issue No.||On the cover|
|2010||Spring||42||Melissa Auf der Maur|
|2009||Spring||39||Evan Rachel Wood|
|2008||Winter||38||She & Him|
|2007||Winter||34||Dita Von Teese|
|2004||Spring||19||The Von Bondies|
- "Women’s mag Venus Zine relaunched". New Statesman. 5 April 2010. Retrieved 12 April 2010.
- Bayne, Martha, "The other alternatives." Chicago Reader, 22 September 2006. Retrieved 21 February 2009.
- Kricke, Dan, "Cool counts for something, but maybe not much in the Presidential race." FoxNews.com, 31 July 2008. Retrieved 21 February, 2009]
- Bream, Jon, "Web gem: www.venuszine.com," Minneapolis Star Tribune, 21 June 2008. Retrieved 21 February 2008.
- Our 50 favorite magazines. Chicago Tribune June 26, 2007