|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||September 18, 1971|
|• Mayor||Alexandre Bélisle|
|• Federal riding||Verchères—Les Patriotes|
|• Prov. riding||Verchères|
|• Total||85.20 km2 (32.90 sq mi)|
|• Land||73.27 km2 (28.29 sq mi)|
|• Density||77.7/km2 (201/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011||8.6%|
|Time zone||EST (UTC−5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−4)|
|Postal code(s)||J0L 2R0|
|Area code(s)||450 and 579|
In the 17th century, the settlement at Verchères was the scene of an Iroquois raid that was apparently thwarted by the ingenuity of a 14 year old girl named Madeleine (now known as Madeleine de Verchères). A cast-iron statue of Madeleine de Verchères stands today by the former location of the settlement stronghold on the shore of the Saint-Lawrence river.
In French, the word Verchères can be used as an adjective to describe a specific type of rowboat invented in Verchères at the end of the 19th century, i.e. chaloupe verchères. A specimen of the rowboat is on permanent outdoor display during in the summer and fall in at the Parc Jean-Marie Moreau across from the town office.
The motto of Verchères is "In Tenebris Lumen Rectis Corde". The streets of Verchères are mostly named after the patronyms of residing families but also after local people who rose to celebrity in Canadian history.
Mother tongue language (2006)
Notable natives and residents
- Joseph Coulon de Jumonville whose death while a prisoner of George Washington ignited the French and Indian War theater of the Seven Years War
- Louis Coulon de Villiers who is the only officer to whom Washington ever surrendered.
- François Coulon de Villiers another of the Coulon brothers who would later be Alcalde of New Orleans, Louisiana (New Spain)
- Bernard Landry former Premier of Quebec .
- Lynda Lemay, songwriter and singer.
- Calixa Lavallée, composer of O Canada.
- Pierre Bouchard, Montreal Canadiens retired former professional hockey player.
- Alexandre Beaudoin, fingerprint scientist
- Reference number 65404 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (French)
- Ministère des Affaires municipales, des Régions et de l'Occupation du territoire: Verchères
- Parliament of Canada Federal Riding History: VERCHÈRES--LES PATRIOTES (Quebec)
- 2011 Statistics Canada Census Profile: Verchères, Quebec
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census
- 2006 Statistics Canada Community Profile: Verchères, Quebec
Media related to Verchères (Québec) at Wikimedia Commons
||Saint Lawrence River / Saint-Sulpice||Contrecoeur|