|• Total||4.186 sq mi (10.843 km2)|
|• Land||4.173 sq mi (10.808 km2)|
|• Water||0.013 sq mi (0.035 km2) 0.32%|
|Elevation||7,349 ft (2,240 m)|
|• Density||39/sq mi (15/km2)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||2583175|
|U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Verdi, California|
Verdi is a census-designated place (CDP) in Sierra County, California. Verdi sits at an elevation of 7,349 feet (2,240 m). The 2010 United States census reported Verdi's population was 162. It is just across the state line from Verdi, Nevada and below the Verdi Range.
The town of Verdi was named after Giuseppe Verdi by Charles Crocker, founder of the Central Pacific Railroad, when he pulled a slip of paper from a hat and read the name of the Italian opera composer in 1868.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP covers an area of 4.2 square miles (11 km2), 99.68% of it land and 0.32% of it water.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Verdi had a population of 162. The population density was 38.7 people per square mile (14.9/km²). The racial makeup of Verdi was 153 (94.4%) White, 0 (0.0%) African American, 0 (0.0%) Native American, 1 (0.6%) Asian, 0 (0.0%) Pacific Islander, 5 (3.1%) from other races, and 3 (1.9%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 10 persons (6.2%).
The Census reported that 162 people (100% of the population) lived in households, 0 (0%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 78 households, out of which 12 (15.4%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 45 (57.7%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 4 (5.1%) had a female householder with no husband present, 3 (3.8%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 3 (3.8%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 0 (0%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 23 households (29.5%) were made up of individuals and 13 (16.7%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.08. There were 52 families (66.7% of all households); the average family size was 2.48.
The population was spread out with 14 people (8.6%) under the age of 18, 6 people (3.7%) aged 18 to 24, 27 people (16.7%) aged 25 to 44, 75 people (46.3%) aged 45 to 64, and 40 people (24.7%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 55.8 years. For every 100 females there were 116.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 117.6 males.
There were 89 housing units at an average density of 21.3 per square mile (8.2/km²), of which 68 (87.2%) were owner-occupied, and 10 (12.8%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 2.9%; the rental vacancy rate was 0%. 146 people (90.1% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 16 people (9.9%) lived in rental housing units.
- U.S. Census
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Verdi, California
- "A Brief History of Verdi", Verdi History Center
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "Senators". State of California. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- "Members Assembly". State of California. Retrieved March 2, 2013.
- "California's 1st Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 3, 2013.