Varmā, Varman, Verma, Burman or Barman are names with origins as traditional Hindu honorific titles in India and South-East Asia. In modern times, these surnames have been adopted by several other communities.
Varma is also a Finnish name, with the etymology "confident" or "firm". It has been used both as a male and a female name.
The word varma means "certain", "sure", "confident". The name is of relatively recent origin, and belongs to the class of names introduced in the early 20th century names with literal meanings in Finnish. Its first official appearance was in the 1909 St. Petersburg Finnish calendar. As of 2009, it has been given to 180 boys and 680 girls. Although officially it is considered a female name, it has been given to a few boys even in the 2000s. Nevertheless, most Varmas have been born in the early 20th century. Varma's name day is 23 August.
Indian traditional usage
Notable people with surname "Varma" or its variants include:
Dev Burman of Tripura
- Sachin Dev Burman, belonged to the Tripura royal family (Indian music composer and singer)
- Rahul Dev Burman, Indian music composer and singer, son of Sachin Dev Burman.
- Nabadwipchandra Dev Burman, from the Tripura royal family; Indian Sitarist and Dhrupad singer
- Bharat Dev Varma, from the Tripura royal family; father of Riya Sen and Raima Sen (actresses)
- Somdev Dev Varman, Indian tennis star
Varma of Travancore
- Raja Ravi Varma, of Kilimanoor Palace, Travancore - Indian painter
- Shreekumar Varma, Indian writer and great grandson of the artist Raja Ravi Varma
- Prince Rama Varma, Musician, a direct descendant of Raja Ravi Varma
- Marthanda Varma, Founder of Travancore
- Aman Verma, Indian actor and T.V. host
- Aneesh Varma, Technologist
- Anupama Verma, Indian actress
- Deven Verma, Indian actor
- Indira Varma, British actress
- J. S. Verma, Chief Justice of India
- Jayen Varma, Bass Guitar Player
- K. C. Verma, RAW Director
- Kalyan Varma, Wild life photographer
- Krant M. L. Verma,Indian poet, writer and verse translator
- Mahadevi Varma, Indian poet
- Maipady Venkatesh Varma Raja, erstwhile Raja of Kumbla
- Nirmal Kumar Verma, naval chief
- Nirmal Verma, author
- Ram Gopal Varma, Indian film director
- Samyuktha Varma, Indian actress
- Vilkuna, Kustaa; Huitu, Marketta; Mikkonen, Pirjo. Etunimet. Published in Joka kodin suuri nimikirja, Suuri Suomalainen Kirjakerho, Otava, Keuruu 1990. ISBN 951-643-476-2
- P. C., Alexander (1949). Buddhism in Kerala. Annamalai University. pp. 52–53.
- Sah, Ayodhya Prasad (1976). Life in mediæval Orissa, cir. A.D. 600-1200. Chaukhambha Orientalia. p. 123.