Vermillion Township, Ashland County, Ohio
|Vermillion Township, Ohio|
Location of Vermillion Township in Ashland County
|• Total||37.2 sq mi (96.4 km2)|
|• Land||37.1 sq mi (96.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.08 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||1,152 ft (351 m)|
|• Density||70/sq mi (27.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085717|
Vermillion Township is one of the fifteen townships of Ashland County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 2,618 people in the township, 2,170 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the south central part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Montgomery Township - north
- Perry Township - northeast corner
- Mohican Township - east
- Lake Township - southeast corner
- Green Township - south
- Monroe Township, Richland County - southwest corner
- Mifflin Township - west
- Milton Township - northwest corner
The village of Hayesville is located in central Vermillion Township.
Name and history
Vermillion Township was organized in 1816.
It is the only Vermillion Township statewide, although there is a Vermilion Township in Erie County.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Vermillion township, Ashland County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Baughman, Abraham J. (1909). History of Ashland County, Ohio, Volume 1. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company. p. 149.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.