Vernon Kay in 2007
|Born||Vernon Charles Kay
28 April 1974
Bolton, England, UK
|Alma mater||Manchester Metropolitan University|
|Occupation||Television presenter, Radio DJ|
|Height||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Television||All Star Family Fortunes (2006—)
Beat the Star (2008–09)
The American Football Show (2013—)
|Spouse(s)||Tess Daly (m. 2003)|
|Children||Phoebe (b. 2004)
Amber Isabella Kay (b. 2009)
|Parents||Norman and Gladys Kay|
Vernon Charles Kay (born 28 April 1974) is an English television presenter, radio DJ and former model best known for his television roles with ITV, presenting shows such as All Star Family Fortunes, Beat the Star and Splash!. He also presented his own BBC Radio 1 show between 2004 and 2012. He is the brother of popular comedian Peter Kay.
Some of Vernon's other television presenting roles have included The Whole 19 Yards which was broadcast on ITV in 2010, Home For the Holidays, a Christmas entertainment show for Channel 4 that was broadcast in 2011 and an ITV-mini series called Let's Get Gold which he presented in 2012.
Kay was born and brought up in Horwich, the elder son of Norman and Gladys; he has a younger brother, Stephen. He attended St Joseph's R.C. High School in Horwich, near Bolton,. He then graduated in environmental science at Manchester Metropolitan University. He supports his hometown's football club Bolton Wanderers. He used to be a regular visitor to Manchester nightclub the Haçienda.
Between 20 April 2008 and 31 May 2009, Vernon presented Beat the Star, a Sunday night show for ITV. The show lasted for two series. For two episodes (1 in each series), Vernon actually took part in the series rather than presenting the show, Phillip Schofield stood in for him on these occasions.
On 17 April 2010, Vernon began co-presenting an exciting new game show for ITV called The Whole 19 Yards alongside Caroline Flack. The series lasted for eight episodes and was filmed at Pinewood Studios. The series averaged 4.1 million viewers but has not returned to ITV since.
In the summer of 2012, Vernon presented ITV entertainment mini-series Let's Get Gold consisting of three episodes, however the show received poor viewing figures and is believed to have since been axed.
Vernon currently presents the ITV diving-show Splash! alongside Gabby Logan and Tom Daley. The show began in January 2013 and has been renewed for a second series which will begin airing in early 2014.
In 2011, Vernon presented the Christmas Channel 4 show Home For the Holidays.
|1999||Fully Booked||BBC One||Co-Presenter|
|2003||Boys and Girls||Channel 4||Co-Presenter|
|2005||Hit Me, Baby, One More Time||ITV||Presenter|
|2006—||All Star Family Fortunes||ITV||Presenter|
|2006, 07, 13||The Paul O'Grady Show||Channel 4 & ITV||Guest Presenter|
|2007||Vernon Kay's Gameshow Marathon||ITV||Presenter|
|2008–09||Beat the Star||ITV||Presenter|
|2010||The Whole 19 Yards||ITV||Co-Presenter|
|Skating with the Stars||ABC||Co-Presenter|||
|2011||Home For the Holidays||Channel 4||Presenter|
|2012||Let's Get Gold||ITV||Presenter|||
|The American Football Show||Channel 4||Presenter|||
- Bo' Selecta! (20 June, 11 July 2003) - Guest
- Davina (15 February 2006) - Guest
- James Corden's World Cup Live (19 June 2010) - Guest
- This Morning (30 September 2010, 16 December 2011, 21 June 2012, 1 February 2013) - Guest
- Chris Moyles' Quiz Night (22 July 2011) - Panellist
- 8 Out of 10 Cats (21 October 2011, 18 May, 19 November 2012, 8 March 2013) - Guest
- Alan Carr: Chatty Man (4 December 2011) - Guest
- Would I Lie to You? (3 May 2013) - Guest
- That Puppet Game Show (7 September 2013) - Contestant, lost to Mel Giedroyc
- Room 101 (Early 2014) - Guest
In January 2004, Kay joined BBC Radio 1 and presented an entertainment show every Sunday. In April 2004, he was given the 10 am – 1 pm weekend slot, which was previously hosted by Colin Murray and Edith Bowman and previously broadcast on both Saturdays and Sundays on the popular radio network. From October 2007 Dick and Dom took over Sunday mornings; Kay's show then ran between 10 am – 1 pm on Saturday. In 2008 he was one of a team of DJ's who filled in for Edith Bowman while she was on maternity leave along with Fearne Cotton and Nihal.
On 11 February 2009 it was announced that Kay would fill in for Chris Moyles while he climbed Mount Kilimanjaro for Comic Relief, an act he repeated on 13 July 2009 when Moyles took a day off. He also filled-in for Pete Tong's Essential Selection on Radio 1 on 10 April 2008. That same year, Kay filled again in for Chris Moyles from 10 August until 15 August when he had two weeks holiday. The first week was covered by the regular cover presenter Scott Mills. From 30 November 2009 Kay, again, covered for Chris Moyles on breakfast for a whole week as Moyles, Aled Haydn Jones and Fearne Cotton were away in Uganda handing out malaria nets and seeing how the money raised from the Mount Kilimanjaro climb for Comic Relief was being spent.
On 9 November 2012, it was announced that Kay would leave BBC Radio 1 to spend more time with his family, who are his wife and his daughters, he presented his final show in December and was replaced by Matt Edmondson.
Kay married Tess Daly on 12 September 2003, at St Mary's Roman Catholic Church in Horwich, in Bolton. They have two daughters together: Phoebe Elizabeth Kay, who was born on 17 October 2004 in Westminster, London; and Amber Isabella Kay, born on 30 May 2009.
Kay is a passionate supporter of Bolton Wanderers F.C.. He is also a fan of American football, joining the Manchester Allstars at the age of 13 and reuniting the team in 2011 for a one-off match against the Birmingham Lions. The Birmingham Lions won convincingly, largely due to numerous touchdowns from Dan Conroy In 2011, he signed for the London Warriors, for whom he plays for in the BAFANL Premier South division as a defensive back.
- "Vernon Kay background". Officialvernonkay.com. Retrieved 2013-08-14.
- Relative values: Vernon Kay and his mother, Gladys The Sunday Times, April 12, 2009
- "Vernon's romantic proposal to Tess". The Bolton News (Newsquest Media Group). 6 January 2003. Retrieved 21 March 2008.
- "A happy homecoming for graduate Vernon Kay". The Bolton News (Newsquest Media Group). 10 July 2009. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- Web links. Official Vernon Kay. Retrieved on 2011-12-03.
- Breaking News – Pro Skater Pairings, Host and Color Commentator for ABC's "Skating With the Stars" Announced. TheFutonCritic.com (2005-02-22). Retrieved on 2011-12-03.
- Published Tuesday, May 8 2012, 15:44 BST (2012-05-08). "Vernon Kay to host ITV1 sports entertainment show 'Let's Get Gold'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2013-08-14.
- Ben Cooper, Controller, BBC Radio 1 and 1Xtra (1970-01-01). "Media Centre - Radio 1 announces changes to its weekend schedule". BBC. Retrieved 2013-08-14.
- "THE sun shone, the bride wore white ... and so did the groom.". The Bolton News (Newsquest Media Group). 13 September 2003.
- Biography by BBC Radio 1
- Biography on the Internet Movie Database
- Births England and Wales 1984–2006. Findmypast.com. Retrieved on 2011-12-03.
- "A happy homecoming for graduate Vernon Kay". The Bolton News (Newsquest Media Group). 10 July 2009. Retrieved 3 December 2011.
- Akbor, Ruhubia (16 February 2011). "TV star Vernon Kay joins American Football team for last game". Oldham Advertiser (M.E.N. Media). Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- "2011 Roster". londonwarriorsafc.co.uk. London Warriors AFC. Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- "Vernon Kay Signs for The Warriors". London Warriors AFC. Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- Official Website
- Official Twitter page
- Official Facebook page
- Official Google+ page
- Vernon Kay at the Internet Movie Database
- Sporting Achievements
|Host of Family Fortunes