|Industry||Enterprise Software & Database Management & Data Warehousing|
|Founder||Andrew Palmer and Michael Stonebraker|
|Products||Vertica Analytics Platform Enterprise Edition, Vertica Analytics Platform Community Edition|
Vertica Systems is an analytic database management software company. Vertica was founded in 2005 by database researcher Michael Stonebraker, and Andrew Palmer. Former CEOs include Ralph Breslauer and Christopher P. Lynch.
The cluster-based, column-oriented, Vertica Analytics Platform is designed to manage large, fast-growing volumes of data and provide very fast query performance when used for data warehouses and other query-intensive applications. The product claims to drastically improve query performance over traditional relational database systems, provide high-availability, and petabyte scalability on commodity enterprise servers.
Its design features include:
- Column-oriented storage organization, which increases performance of sequential record access at the expense of common transactional operations such as single record retrieval, updates, and deletes.
- Standard SQL interface with many analytics capabilities built-in, such as time series gap filing/interpolation, event-based windowing and sessionization, pattern matching, event series joins, statistical computation (e.g., regression analysis), and geospatial analysis.
- Out-of-place updates and hybrid storage organization, which increase the performance of queries, insertions, and loads, but at the expense of updates and deletes.
- Compression, which reduces storage costs and I/O bandwidth. High compression is possible because columns of homogeneous datatype are stored together and because updates to the main store are batched.
- Shared nothing architecture, which reduces system contention for shared resources and allows gradual degradation of performance in the face of hardware failure.
- Easy to use and maintain through automated data replication, server recovery, query optimization, and storage optimization.
- Support for standard programming interfaces ODBC, JDBC, and ADO.NET.
Vertica's specialized approach aims to significantly increase query performance in data warehouses, while reducing the total cost of ownership by reducing the hardware footprint. One example of a use case detailed in a research paper shows a performance improvement of hundreds of times with Vertica in a specific application due to the use of the vertical DBMS approach.
As of late 2011, the Vertica Analytics Platform Community Edition is available for free with certain limitations, such as a maximum of one terabyte of raw data, three-node (servers) cluster, and limited support.
The Vertica Analytic Database runs on cluster of Linux-based commodity servers. It is also available as a hosted DBMS provisioned by and running on the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud. The product integrates with Hadoop to leverage HDFS within Vertica and provide access to Vertica's data through MapReduce.
Several of Vertica’s features were originally prototyped within the C-Store column-oriented database, an academic open source research project at MIT and other universities. The system's architecture is described in a 2012 VLDB paper.
Versions & Documentation
- HP Vertica Analytics Platform 7.1.x 
- HP Vertica Analytics Platform 7.0.x 
- HP Vertica Analytics Platform 6.1.x 
- HP Vertica 6.0.x Enterprise Edition 
- HP Vertica 5.1 Enterprise Edition 
- HP Vertica Enterprise Edition 5.0 
- HP Vertica Enterprise Edition 4.1 
In June 2013, HP announced the HAVEn platform for analyzing and finding meaning from big data -- petabytes of structured and unstructured information. HAVEn also aims to identify information that is not needed and can be placed in low cost storage or even dumped. HAVEn uses the open source Hadoop software with technologies HP acquired from Autonomy Corporation, Vertica and ArcSight.
In January 2008, Sybase filed a patent-infringement lawsuit against Vertica. In January 2010, Vertica prevailed in a preliminary hearing, and in June, 2010, Sybase and Vertica resolved the suit, with the court dismissing all infringement claims. Under the leadership of Colin Mahony, Vertica has sponsored various technological events in the database industry.
In June 2013, Hewlett-Packard announced that Vertica will be a core part of their big data initiative called HAVEn (Hadoop, Autonomy IDOL, Vertica, Enterprise Security, and n Apps).
In August 2013, HP Vertica held its first Big Data conference event in Boston, MA USA.
- Network World staff: "New database company raises funds, nabs ex-Oracle bigwigs”,  LinuxWorld, February 14, 2007
- Brodkin, J: "10 enterprise software companies to watch",  Network World, April 11, 2007
- HP News Release: “HP to Acquire Vertica: Customers Can Analyze Massive Amounts of Big Data at Speed and Scale” Feb. 2011
- HP News Release: “HP Completes Acquisition of Vertica Systems, Inc.” March 22, 2011.
- ComputerWorld.com: “Update: HP to buy Vertica for analytics.” Kanaracus. Feb. 2011.
- Monash, C: "Are row-oriented RDBMS obsolete?"  DBMS2, January 22, 2007
- Monash, C: "Mike Stonebraker on database compression – comments”,DBMS2, March 24, 2007
- One Size Fits All? Part 2: Benchmarking Results (sect. 3.1)
- "Vertica-Hadoop integration". DBMS2. October 12, 2010.
- "The Vertica Analytic Database: C-Store 7 Years Later". VLDB. August 28, 2012.
- Documentation http://www.vertica.com/hp-vertica-documentation/hp-vertica-7-1-x-documentation/
- Documentation http://www.vertica.com/documentation/hp-vertica-analytics-platform-7-0-x-product-documentation/
- Documentation http://www.vertica.com/documentation/documentation-6-1/
- Documentation http://www.vertica.com/documentation/hp-vertica-documentation-6-0-x/
- Documentation http://www.vertica.com/documentation/hp-vertica-5-1-x-enterprise-edition-product-documentation/
- Documentation http://www.vertica.com/documentation/hp-vertica-enterprise-edition-5-0-product-documentation/
- Documentation http://www.vertica.com/documentation/hp-vertica-documentation-5-1/
- Sybase, Inc. v. Vertica Systems, Inc. (Texas Eastern District Court January 30, 2008). Text
- Monash, C: "Vertica slaughters Sybase in patent litigation”,DBMS2, January 14, 2010
- Vertica Press Release, "Vertica Resolves Sybase Patent Lawsuits" http://www.vertica.com/news/press/vertica-resolves-sybase-patent-lawsuits/
- HP News - HP Unleashes the Power of Big Data http://www8.hp.com/us/en/hp-news/press-release.html?id=1416090
- HP Vertica Big Data Conference 2013 http://www.vertica.com/hp-vertica-big-data-conference-2013/
- HP Software official site
- Official website
- Official user community
- Unofficial Vertica User Google Group
- Ex-Vertica CEO pledges to build high-speed railway for Big Data
- The Vertica Database Forums - User 2 User Support