|Motto||Scientia Vincere Tenebras (Conquering the darkness through science)|
|Colours||Blue & Orange|
Vesalius College, also known commonly as VeCo, is a Liberal Arts college situated in the heart of Brussels, Belgium. The college is operated in association with the Vrije Universiteit Brussel. It is named after Andreas Vesalius, one of the first and foremost pioneers in the study of Anatomy who lived during the Renaissance period.
The college was founded in 1987 and offers three-year Bachelor's degree programs in accordance with the Bologna process. Vesalius College is one of the few educational institutions in Belgium which teaches exclusively in English. The College’s teaching methods are characterized by small, interactive classes, flexibility in course selection, and continuous assessment. As a small college with a student body of approximately 300 and a low student-to-professor ratio, the faculty is accessible and able to take a personal interest in the success of students to help them reach their full potential. These close working relationships form the cornerstone of the Vesalius College educational philosophy.
The Vesalius curriculum places strong emphasis on providing students with a broad education, reaching beyond artificial boundaries between disciplines. Students are encouraged to complement their major studies with elective courses in philosophy, music, script writing, and other fields. In addition, to prepare students for an ever-more globalized world, language training (including French, Dutch and Mandarin Chinese) is part of the curriculum. At Vesalius, students receive a liberal and global education that enables them to think critically, creatively and broadly about core processes and major issues in a continuously changing global environment.
The college has its own administration buildings, lecture rooms and other offices located at Pleinlaan 5 in the Brussels borough of Ixelles, adjacent to the main Etterbeek campus of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel. It also operates in cooperation with the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, using some of its classrooms for lectures.
On the Pleinlaan campus, Vesalius College has its administrative offices, classrooms, a conference room, computer facilities as well as the Student Lounge and the English and Math Workspace.
Vesalius College also shares the facilities of the adjacent campus of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, such as classrooms, the large lecture halls (Aula), computer facilities, the library, the cafeteria, the sports complex with indoor basketball, tennis and squash courts, and gymnasium facilities.
Vesalius College has three Undergraduate Majors under the current three-year program:
- Business Major - Faculty Chaired by Ilse Scheerlinck, PhD
- Communications Major - Faculty chaired by Georgios Terzis, PhD
- International Affairs Major - Faculty chaired by Svitlana Kobzar, PhD
European Peace and Security Studies: The International Affairs curriculum also includes the highly reputed Undergraduate Certificate in European Peace and Security Studies (EPSS). Taught jointly by Vesalius College, the Belgian Royal Military Academy, the Institute for European Studies (IES) and the University of Kent, the course provides students with unique insights into the causes of major contemporary conflicts and crises, and critically assesses the responses of NATO, the EU and the United Nations. The program is supported by an outstanding network of leading scholars (from, among others, the University of Oxford, Cambridge, Yale and the London School of Economics) and senior practitioners from NATO, the EU and the United Nations.
All three majors are accredited by the Dutch-Flemish Accreditation Organisation (Nederlands-Vlaamse Accreditatie Organisatie, NVAO), the official accreditation agency established by international treaty between the Dutch government and the Flemish community government, which is responsible for education in (Flanders), the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium.
Internships: Students have the option of applying to participate in the Vesalius Internship Programme (VIP). The VIP is a competitive, graded internship programme that gives students the opportunity to experience an international and professional environment in the ‘Capital of Europe’. Internships are available with governmental organisations, multinational corporations, NGOs, think tanks, media centers and many other organizations.
The Student Body elects a Student Government every academic year starting in the Fall until the end of Spring. The Vesalius Student Government (VSG) includes four members: a president, vice-president, treasurer and secretary. A technical representative acts as a fifth member.
Students are asked to represent their Majors on the Student Council in which issues regarding the College and all things academic are discussed and the necessary votes are taken.
The College also hosts a variety of clubs in which the students can participate:
- Vesalius Business Club (VBC)
- Vesalius Adventure Club
- The Babbling Beard Yearbook/ school paper
- World Food Programme
- Debate Club
- Vesalius College Model United Nations (VeCo MUN)
- Sports Club
- Photography Club
- Food Club
- Vesalius ``Silver Weasels´´ Ice-Hockey team
At present, the College has agreements of varying types with the following colleges, universities and study abroad organizations:
- The American University, Washington, D.C., United States of America
- Bentley College, Waltham, Massachusetts, United States of America
- Brethren Colleges Abroad
- CIEE - The Council for International Educational Exchange
- École des dirigeants et créateurs d'entreprise (EDC), Paris, France
- Educational Programmes Abroad, London, United Kingdom
- Huron University College, London, Ontario, Canada
- International Studies Abroad, Austin, Texas
- Tec de Monterrey, San Luis Potosi, Mexico
- Kyung Hee University, Seoul, South Korea
- Kansai Gaidai University, Osaka, Japan
- Lafayette College, Easton, Pennsylvania, USA
- Anglo-American University, Prague, Czech Republic
- Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA
- San Francisco State University, San Francisco, California, USA
- Solvay Business School, Université Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
- St. Louis University, St. Louis, Missouri, USA
- Universidad de Especialidades Espiritu Santo, Guayaquil, Ecuador
- University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
- Universidad de las Americas, Puebla, Mexico
- University of Denver, Denver, Colorado
- Oglethorpe University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA