Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity
Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity (VIPS) is a group of current and former officials of the United States Intelligence Community, including some from the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), the U.S. State Department's Intelligence Bureau (INR), and the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA). It was formed in January 2003 as a "coast-to-coast enterprise" to protest the use of faulty intelligence "upon which the US/UK invasion of Iraq was based." The group issued a letter before the 2003 invasion of Iraq stating that intelligence analysts were not being listened to by policy makers. In August 2010 it issued a memorandum to the White House warning of an imminent Israeli attack on Iran.
February 2003 memo
On February 7, 2003, VIPS publicly released a "Memorandum for The President" criticizing Secretary Powell's speech before the United Nations, in part, because VIPS was afraid Saddam Hussein would use his chemical weapons against U.S. troops if the U.S. invaded. It stated "The narrow focus on Resolution 1441 has diverted attention from the wider picture. It is crucial that we not lose sight of that. Intelligence community analysts are finding it hard to make themselves heard above the drumbeat for war." It also noted the various Gulf War-related illnesses which many returning soldiers contracted due to the presence of chemical and biological agents in Desert Storm. The memorandum was signed by the VIPS Steering Group including Richard Beske, Kathleen Christison, William Christison, Patrick Eddington, and Raymond McGovern.
August 2010 memo
On August 3, 2010, VIPS publicly released another "MEMORANDUM FOR: The President" warning the administration that their analysis suggests that Israel is likely to unilaterally attack Iran "as early as this month." It cited two reasons for this conclusion:
Firstly, Israel fears that western intelligence assessments over Iran's nuclear program will change soon and Israel will lose its "justification" for an attack. U.S. intelligence has been trying for some time to update the National Intelligence Estimate of November 2007 on Iran's nuclear program. It says that Tehran halted its nuclear weapons program in 2003 and as of mid-2007 has not restarted it. The group says Israel would like to strike soon, preemptively, before the new assessment reaffirms that Iran has not restarted its nuclear weapons program. Secondly, with the recent announcement by the U.S. that talks will resume with Iran next month regarding Iran's controversial uranium enrichment program, the group tells Obama: "incentives build in Tel-Aviv for the Israelis to attack before any such agreement can be reached."
September 6, 2013 memo
On September 6, 2013, VIPS publicly released another "MEMORANDUM FOR: The President" warning the administration over the possibility that its assessment  claiming that the Syrian government was responsible for the August 2013 chemical weapons incident in Ghouta is wrong . They conclude:
There is a growing body of evidence from numerous sources in the Middle East — mostly affiliated with the Syrian opposition and its supporters — providing a strong circumstantial case that the August 21 chemical incident was a pre-planned provocation by the Syrian opposition and its Saudi and Turkish supporters. The aim is reported to have been to create the kind of incident that would bring the United States into the war.
- David Kelly
- Downing Street memo
- Paul R. Pillar
- Andrew Wilkie
- Samuel Provance
- National Security Whistleblowers Coalition
- We Are Perplexed at the US Refusal to Permit the Return of UN Inspectors to Iraq, Dissident Voice, May 20, 2003.
- CIA Veterans Speak Out, Common Dreams, February 7, 2003.
- US should be "embarrassed" over failure to find WMDs: ex-spies, SpaceWar.com, April 18, 2003.
- Memo For: President Bush Re: War on Iraq, Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity in CounterPunch, February 8, 2003.
- Text of the Memorandum For: the President, from Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity (Vips), August 3, 2010.
- Lahav Harkov, Obama misplaced trust in Netanyahu, Jerusalem Post, August 5, 2010.
- Dana Karni, Will Israel Bomb Iran This Month?, Fox News, August 5, 2010.
- Government Assessment of the Syrian Government’s Use of Chemical Weapons on August 21, 2013, The White House, August 30, 2013
- Ray McGovern: Who's Lying? Brennan, Obama, or Both?, warisacrime.org, September 6, 2013
- Kathleen and Bill Christison: Why We Resigned from VIPS, CounterPunch, July 15, 2003.
- List of Publications of Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity After Downing Street
- VIPS, "MEMORANDUM FOR: The President", CommonDreams.org, 2003-02-07
- VIPS, "Memorandum for Confused Americans: Cooking Intelligence for War", CounterPunch.org, 2003-03-15
- VIPS, "Intelligence Officers Challenge Bush", CommonDreams.org, 2003-05-01
- Source Watch, Description of VIPS, SourceWatch.org
- "Ex-CIA Accuse Bush of Manipulating Iraq Evidence" FOX News (AP story), 2003-03-17.
- "16 Words and Counting" New York Times, July 15, 2003, Section A, Page 21.
- "Failures of the Sept. 11 Commission" Washington Post, Monday, July 26, 2004; Page A11
- Bush's New War Drums for Iran