Veterinary dentistry is the field of dentistry applied to the care of animals. It is the art and science of prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of conditions, diseases, and disorders of the oral cavity, the maxillofacial region, and its associated structures as it relates to animals.
In the United States, veterinary dentistry is one of 20 veterinary specialties recognized by the American Veterinary Medical Association. Veterinary dentists offer services in the fields of endodontics, oral and maxillofacial radiology, oral and maxillofacial surgery, oral medicine, orthodontics, pedodontics, periodontics, and prosthodontics. Similar to human dentists, they treat conditions such as jaw fractures, malocclusions, oral cancer, periodontal disease, and stomatitis and other conditions unique to veterinary medicine (e.g. feline odontoclastic resorptive lesions).
Some animals have specialist dental workers, such as equine dental technicians who conduct routine work on horses.
- "Veterinary Specialty Organizations". Retrieved 2006-08-20.
- Academy of Veterinary Dental Technicians
- Academy of Veterinary Dentistry
- American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians
- American Veterinary Dental College
- American Veterinary Dental Society
- British Veterinary Dental Association
- European Veterinary Dental College
- European Veterinary Dental Society
- Veterinary Oral Health Council