|Produced by||S. Shankar|
|Music by||G. V. Prakash Kumar|
|Edited by||Mathan gunadeva|
|8 December 2006|
Veyil (Tamil: வெயில்) is a 2006 Tamil-language drama film written and directed by Vasanthabalan. Bharath and Pasupathy are the heroes whereas Bhavana, Priyanka and Sriya Reddy plays the female leads. Upon release,the movie met with highly positive reviews and was commercially successful.
The story is told through the protagonist Murugesan (Pasupathy) who recalls his childhood in Virudhunagar town. His father is a butcher who works hard to bring up his four children - two boys and two girls, and has a happy family.
Murugesan dotes on his younger brother Kathir and his weakness, like any other adolescent is love for movies (especially MGR films) that are screened in a local theatre. But one day life changes for him when his father catches him red-handed from the theatre after he bunks school. The child is severely punished. He runs away from home taking money and jewels.
Along the way Murugesan gets sidetracked from his intended destination of Chennai by an MGR Movie poster. He's shown watching several MGR shows, buying a change of clothes and eating a hearty meal with his ill-gotten money. After spending the night at local temple, he wakes up to find his money and other possessions missing. Murugesan is then taken under the wings of a theatre projectionist in a nearby town and slowly the theatre becomes his home. As an adult, he falls in love with Thangam (Priyanka), a beautiful girl who lives opposite the theatre but their love story does not have a happy ending. Murugesan is crestfallen after Thankam’s death and takes to the bottle. Sometime later the theatre is demolished, the owner citing loss of business.
He decides to return home after 20 years. The rest of the film is all about Murugesan’s mental turmoil, as he is caught between the deep love showered by his younger brother Kathir (Bharath) who runs a successful advertising agency and his guilt of not being a responsible son or elder brother. There is a parallel love story between Meenakshi (Bhavana), an innocent girl and Kathir. Then there is Pandi (Sriya Reddy) who is Murugesan's childhood sweetheart.The rest of the story is about what happens to Murugesan and Kathir.
|Soundtrack album by G. V. Prakash Kumar|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
An Ak Audio
|G. V. Prakash Kumar chronology|
|Veyilodu Vilaiyadi||Jassie Gift, Kailash Kher, Tippu, Prasanna|
|Kaadhal Neruppin||Karthik, Chinmayi|
|Urugudhe Maragudhe||Shankar Mahadevan, Shreya Ghoshal|
|Ooran Thotathhilae||Jassie Gift, Tippu|
- It is the first Tamil language film screened at Cannes as part of the 2007 Cannes Film Festival under the 'Tous les Cinemas du Monde’ section.
- Sandhya was supposed to play the female lead but was replaced by Bhavana
- The first third of Veyil is very loosely based upon the 1988 Italian classic Cinema Paradiso
- The film grossed $8 million at the box office.
- Alamparai Fort was the location of scenes in the movie.
- Cannes International Film Festival 2007 - Screened under [TOUS LES CINEMAS DU MONDE]
- Shanghai International Film Festival 2007 - Nominee under [Asian New Talent Award]
- Habitat International Film Festival 2007 - Screened 
- Pune International Film Festival 2007 - Screened under [INDIAN BIOSCOPE]
- National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Tamil - 2006
- Elemec's 3rd Amrita Film Awards - Won Best Other Language Film 
- Filmfare Award for Best Tamil Film - S. Shankar
- Filmfare Award for Best Tamil Director - Vasantha Balan
- Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Film - 2006
- MGR Sivaji Academic Award - 2006 - Best Film
- Bravo (Spell Found) - 2006 - Best Director, Best Film, Best Actor
- Kerala (Other Language Film Award) - Best Film