Vichy Springs, Mendocino County, California
|Elevation||801 ft (244 m)|
Vichy Springs (formerly, Ukiah Vichy Springs and Doolan's Ukiah Vichy Springs) is an unincorporated community in Mendocino County, California. It is located on Sulphur Creek 3 miles (4.8 km) east-northeast of Ukiah, at an elevation of 801 feet (244 m).
Although previously used by the local native Americans, the first westerner to discover the hot springs at this location was Frank Marble, in 1848. The springs at Ukiah Vichy resemble the more famous Grand Grille Springs in Vichy, and like the springs in Vichy the waters of the springs are alkaline and carbonated. In the 1850s William Day founded the Ukiah Vichy Springs Resort, taking advantage of the 19th-century revival of hydrotherapy. By 1892 the resort was known as Doolan's Ukiah Vichy Springs. Visitors included Ulysses S. Grant, Benjamin Harrison, Jack London, Teddy Roosevelt, Robert Louis Stevenson, and Mark Twain. As one of the oldest continuously-operated hot spring resorts in the state, Ukiah Vichy Springs has been recognized as California Historical Landmark #980.
A post office operated at Vichy Springs from 1893 to 1936.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Vichy Springs, Mendocino County, California
- "Ukiah Vichy Springs". Office of Historic Preservation, California State Parks. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Quill Driver Books. p. 163. ISBN 9781884995149.
- California Landmark 980: Ukiah Vichy Springs Resort, California Historical Landmarks in Mendocino County, accessed 2012-01-01.
- Anderson, Winslow (1892), "Doolan's Ukiah Vichy Springs and Health Resort", Mineral springs and health resorts of California, The Bancroft Co., pp. 257–259.
- Carter, Bob (2001), California Travelers' Trivia: Historic and Contemporary--Fabulous Firsts, Fascinating Facts, Legendary Lore, One-of-a-Kind Oddities, Tantalizing Trivia, Falcon Guides, Globe Pequot, p. 129, ISBN 978-1-56044-954-6.
|This Mendocino County, California-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|