Black with the New York Mets
New York Mets – No. 38
May 23, 1988 |
|July 25, 2013 for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||2.96|
Victor Laurence Black (born May 23, 1988) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the New York Mets of Major League Baseball (MLB). He made his MLB debut with the Pittsburgh Pirates before he was traded to the Mets.
Black is a right-handed pitcher, weighs 205 lbs, and is 6 ft 4 in. He attended Dallas Baptist University and is the highest drafted player in the University's history. During his last season at Dallas Baptist, Black went 6-4 with a 4.16 ERA and 99 strikeouts in 88⅔ innings.
Black started the 2010 season with the West Virginia Power, but only pitched 4 2/3 innings, dealing with shoulder and bicep injuries. He split the 2011 season between West Virginia and the Bradenton Marauders. He spent the 2012 season with the Altoona Curve of the Double A Eastern League. In November 2012, the Pirates added Black to the 40 man roster to protect him from the Rule 5 draft.
In 2013, Black pitched for the Indianapolis Indians of the Class AAA International League, and was named to the All-Star Game. The Pirates promoted Black to the major leagues, and he debuted with the Pirates on July 25.
New York Mets
The Pirates sent Black to the New York Mets on August 29, 2013, as the player to be named later in the trade that sent Dilson Herrera to the Mets in exchange for John Buck and Marlon Byrd. Black is expected to return to the Mets' bullpen in a set-up role for the 2014 season. 
- Cipriano, Guy (June 14, 2006). "Black's fastball catches eye of Pirates' brass". Centre Daily Times.
- Cipriano, Guy (July 1, 2009). "Top picks hit mound for first time as Spikes stumble". Centre Daily Times. Retrieved July 4, 2009.[dead link]
- "Pirates set 40-man roster". November 20, 2012.
- "Bernie Pleskoff: Pittsburgh Pirates prospect Vic Black's powerful arm fits well in the bullpen | pirates.com: News". Pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com. Retrieved September 14, 2013.
- "Mets get prospect Black to complete Bucs trade | mets.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. August 29, 2013. Retrieved September 14, 2013.
- August 29, 2013 5:40 PM By Cody Derespina (August 29, 2013). "Vic Black to go to Mets in Marlon Byrd deal". Newsday.com. Retrieved September 14, 2013.
- "Mets 101 Player Review Series: Vic Black".
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Victor Black Dominating With an Upper 90s Fastball and Plus Slider (July 30, 2012 article by Kristy Robinson)