Hedman with the Tampa Bay Lightning in December 2014
December 18, 1990 |
|Height||6 ft 6 in (198 cm)|
|Weight||232 lb (105 kg; 16 st 8 lb)|
|Tampa Bay Lightning
|NHL Draft||2nd overall, 2009
Tampa Bay Lightning
Victor Erik Olof Hedman (born December 18, 1990) is a Swedish professional ice hockey defenceman. He currently plays for the Tampa Bay Lightning of the National Hockey League (NHL). Hedman was drafted second overall by the Tampa Bay Lightning in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
Hedman began his junior hockey career in the Swedish J20 SuperElit with the Modo Hockey organization. He recorded 25 points in 34 games during his first full season in the league in 2006–07. Hedman then turned pro and joined the Elitserien with Modo at the age of 16. At the beginning of the 2008–09 season, he was ranked first overall among all draft-eligible skaters in the International Scouting Services' preliminary rankings. In the same season, he was nominated as the SHL Rookie of the Year . Following his performance at the 2009 World Junior Championships, Hedman was listed atop the rankings of European skaters by the NHL Central Scouting Bureau. Despite the unlikelihood of Hedman playing in Russia, he was drafted 83rd overall by the Kontinental Hockey League's Spartak Moscow on June 1, 2009. Going into the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, he was listed as the number two ranked player and top European player. This led to him being selected second overall by the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Tampa Bay Lightning
He made his National Hockey League debut for the Lightning on October 3, 2009, against the Atlanta Thrashers. He registered his first point as an assist on a Martin St. Louis goal. His first NHL goal was scored on December 5, 2009, against Dwayne Roloson of the New York Islanders. On January 5, 2011, Hedman checked Sidney Crosby from behind and received a minor boarding penalty. The hit was one of two that were blamed for causing a severe concussion on Crosby that kept him out of play for over a year. On November 29, 2011, Hedman signed a 5-year, $20 million contract extension. On September 25, 2012, it was announced that Hedman signed a contract with Barys Astana of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) for the remainder of the 2012–13 NHL lockout.
|Competitor for Sweden|
|World Junior Championships|
|World U18 Championships|
|Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament|
Hedman played for Sweden at the 2008 World Junior Championships, where he helped the team to a silver medal, losing to Team Canada 3–2 in the final, and was selected to the tournament All-Star Team. He later became one of the youngest players to play for Sweden's national men's team when he made his debut at age seventeen in an exhibition game against Norway. Hedman would once again play for Sweden's national junior team at the 2009 World Junior Championships in Ottawa, where he met Canada for the second consecutive year in the gold medal game, earning another silver medal in a 5–1 loss.
He has two older brothers: Oscar is also a hockey player and plays for Modo Hockey in the Swedish Hockey League, as well as Johan Hedman, but he does not play at professional level.
Regular season and playoffs
|2009–10||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||74||4||16||20||79||—||—||—||—||—|
|2010–11||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||79||3||23||26||70||18||0||6||6||8|
|2011–12||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||61||5||18||23||65||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||44||4||16||20||31||—||—||—||—||—|
|2013–14||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||75||13||42||55||53||4||1||2||3||2|
|Sweden's Junior of the Year||2009|
|Elitserien Rookie of the Year||2009|
|World U18 All-Star Team||2007, 2008|
|World Junior All-Star Team||2008|
- "International Scouting Services Preliminary Rankings". TSN. Archived from the original on October 19, 2008. Retrieved November 25, 2008.
- "Tavares passed over in KHL draft, Hall taken by Ak Bars". The Sports Network. Archived from the original on June 3, 2009. Retrieved January 20, 2010.
- "2014 NHL Mock Draft". My NHL Draft. Archived from the original on January 15, 2009.
- "Tavares, Hedman highlight NHL mid-season rankings". TSN. January 12, 2009. Archived from the original on January 15, 2009. Retrieved January 13, 2009.
- Vince Massi (September 7, 2011). "Crosby Show has been must-see TV". ESPN.com. Archived from the original on October 4, 2013. Retrieved November 21, 2011.
- Greg Wyshynski (January 6, 2012). "The Sidney Crosby concussion vs. the economics of the NHL". Yahoo! Sports. Archived from the original on January 11, 2012. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- Allen, Kevin (June 25, 2009). "Intriguing choice at No. 1 pick: Big-time scorer or franchise D". USA Today. Retrieved June 26, 2009.
- Ek, Mattias (March 28, 2008). "Debut i Tre Kronor - som 17-åring" [Debut in Three Crowns - 17 years old] (in Swedish). Expressen. Archived from the original on October 12, 2012. Retrieved November 18, 2008.
- "Hockey Awards & Achievements". Elite Prospects. Archived from the original on September 1, 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Victor Hedman.|
- Victor Hedman's career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Victor Hedman's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
- Victor Hedman profile at Eurohockey.com
|Awards and achievements|
|Tampa Bay Lightning first round draft pick