Salva in 2000
|Born||Victor Ronald Salva
March 29, 1958
Martinez, California, United States
|Years active||1986 – present|
|Awards||Moxie! Award for Best Feature – Santa Monica Film Festival
1999 Rites of Passage
In 1986, he made the low-budget horror film Something in the Basement, which attracted the attention of filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola, who in turn helped Salva finance his first feature-length film, Clownhouse (1989), and many subsequent films.
In 1995, he directed the Disney-financed Powder. The subsequent media coverage of Salva's criminal history, and speculation as to why Disney would hire a convicted sex offender, ensured that Salva would not make another film until 1999's Rites of Passage. Salva wrote and directed the horror film Jeepers Creepers (2001) and its sequel Jeepers Creepers II (2003). In 2006, he directed Peaceful Warrior, which opened up to mixed reviews. In 2011, Salva filmed Rosewood Lane, a thriller starring Rose McGowan and Ray Wise.
Sexual abuse case
At the age of 29, during production of Clownhouse, Salva sexually molested the film's 12-year-old lead actor, and filmed their encounters. Salva pleaded guilty to one count of lewd and lascivious conduct, one count of oral sex with a person under 14, and three counts of procuring child pornography. Salva was sentenced to three years in prison, of which he served 15 months.
- 2015: Jeepers Creepers 3: Cathedral
- 2015: Purgatory
- 2015: The Old Hag Syndrome
- 2014: Dark House
- 2012: Haunted
- 2011: Rosewood Lane
- 2006: Peaceful Warrior
- 2003: Jeepers Creepers II
- 2001: Jeepers Creepers
- 1999: Rites of Passage
- 1995: The Nature of the Beast
- 1995: Powder
- 1989: Clownhouse
- 1986: Something in the Basement
- "California Registered Sex Offender Profile – Victor Salva". Megan's Law – California Sex Offender Registry. Retrieved February 10, 2010.
- Patrick Goldstein. "Victor Salva's horror stories". Los Angeles Times.
- "Fear the Paperboy(!) on Rosewood Lane".
- Victor Salva at the Internet Movie Database
- Media reports archive related to the director's sexual molestation of a child actor and his films Powder and Jeepers Creepers
- Victor Salva's entry at Florida Sex Offender Registry