Vianu's book Foundations of Databases (with Serge Abiteboul and Richard Hull, Addison-Wesley, 1995) is a standard graduate textbook in database theory. In finite model theory and computational complexity theory, the Abiteboul–Vianu theorem (also published with Abiteboul, at the 1991 Symposium on Theory of Computing) states that polynomial time equals PSPACE if and only if fixed point logic equals partial fixed point logic. At the 2010 Symposium on Principles of Database Systems, Vianu and his co-authors Dan Suciu and Tova Milo won the Alberto O. Mendelzon Test-of-Time Award for their work ten years prior on type checking for XML transformation languages.
- Faculty profile, UCSD, retrieved 2011-03-21.
- Vianu, Victor (2010). "JACM at the Start of a New Decade". Journal of the ACM 57 (3). doi:10.1145/1706591.1706592.
- ACM PODS Alberto O. Mendelzon Test-of-Time Award, ACM SIGMOD, retrieved 2011-03-21.
- ACM Fellow Award citation, ACM, retrieved 2011-03-21.
- Vianu, Victor (1977). "The bodnarchuk metric space of languages and the topology of the learning space". In Gruska, Jozef. "Proceedings, 6th Symposium, Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science, Tatranská Lomnica, September 5–9, 1977". Lecture Notes in Computer Science 53. Springer-Verlag. pp. 537–542. doi:10.1007/3-540-08353-7_177.