May 11, 1940 |
Carlsbad, California, United States
Rain of Gold
Burro Genius: A Memoir
Victor Villaseñor is a Mexican-American writer, best known for the New York Times bestseller novel Rain of Gold. Villaseñor's works are often taught in American schools. He went on to write Thirteen Senses: A Memoir (2001), a continuation of Rain of Gold. His book Burro Genius: A Memoir (2004) describes his life. The author has received awards and endorsements, including an appointment to serve as the founding Steinbeck Chair at Hartnell College and the National Steinbeck Center in Salinas, from February 2003 to March 2004. Lion Eyes, published in 2008, was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize.
Villaseñor is also a public speaker, giving lectures with his candid perspective on a number of universal themes, including pride in heritage, strength of family, the power of the written word, dedication to education and personal achievement, and world peace.
He founded the non-profit organization Snowgoose Global Thanksgiving to help promote peace and harmony throughout the world. Villaseñor's self-published book, Snow Goose: Global Thanksgiving, describes his philosophy toward that eventuality.
Victor Villaseñor lives on the ranch where he grew up, in Oceanside, California.
- Macho!, Houston: Arte Publico Press, 1991 edition ISBN 1-55885-027-9.
- Rain of Gold, Houston: Arte Publico Press, 1991 ISBN 1-55885-030-9.
- Wild Steps of Heaven, New York: Delacorte Press, 1996 ISBN 0-385-31566-X.
- Thirteen Senses: A Memoir, New York: Rayo, 2001 ISBN 0-06-008686-6.
- Burro Genius: A Memoir, New York: Rayo, 2004 ISBN 0-06-052612-2.
- The Frog and His Friends Save Humanity (La Rana y Sus Amigos Salvan a la Humanidad), (Spanish translation Edna Ochoa), Houston: Pinata Books/Arte Publico Press, 2005 ISBN 1-55885-429-0.
- Lion Eyes, Random House Digital, Inc., 2008 ISBN 978-0-345-47617-3.
- Crazy Loco Love, Houston: Arte Publico Press, 2008 ISBN 978-1-58270-272-8.
- Huard, Ray (15 March 2012). "Local author to speak at fundraiser". North County Times (Escondido, California). Retrieved 24 March 2012.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Victor Villaseñor|
- Victor Villasenor Official Website
- El Paso Public Library - Archives of Past Events
- Snowgoose Global Thanksgiving Website
- ReadingGroupGuides - Excerpt from Thirteen Senses: A Memoir
- YouTube - Victor Villasenor "Genius in all of Us" Lecture at Sonoma State University