Victoria Conservatory of Music
|Victoria Conservatory of Music|
|900 Johnson Street
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, V8V 3N4, Canada
|School type||Music school|
The Victoria Conservatory of Music (VCM) is a non-profit music school offering excellence in music education, performance and music therapy located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. Founded in 1964 the VCM has over 150+ faculty teaching 1,800 + students making it one of the largest music schools in North America. At various times throughout the year they offer free sample music lessons to the public. See http://vcm.bc.ca/free-sample/
Each year the school presents a season of exciting concerts (VCM Presents) and fundraisers. Their 'Mother's Day Annual Garden Tour' is their signature event and is in its 31st year. Attendees tour enchanting private gardens while enjoying live music from VCM faculty and students. 'Uncork Your Palate' is an exciting event featuring spring release wines of the Naramata Bench, incredible food from local eateries and live music.
The school will celebrate its 50th Anniversary between May 2014 - May 2015 and has planned a year of exciting events and concerts to celebrate.
VCM was once located at Craigdarroch Castle, and also spent time in a building on the grounds of St. Ann's Academy, but is now located at 900 Johnson St. The school has two beautiful performance venues, the 800+ seat Alix Goolden Performance Hall and 120 seat Wood Recital Hall. Cambodian musician Hy Chanthavouth studied at VCM. Walter Prossnitz is an alum and faculty member. Stephen Green is the VCM's dean.
- "Try out a tuba at Victoria Conservatory of Music's open house". Victoria News. September 6, 2012. Retrieved September 12, 2012.
- Danda Humphreys (2004). Building Victoria: Men, Myths, and Mortar. Heritage House Publishing. p. 57. ISBN 1894384687.
- Dorothy Mindenhall (2012). Unbuilt Victoria. Dundurn Group. p. 173. ISBN 1459701763.
- Betty Gordon Funke (2004). Tweed Curtain Pioneers. Trafford Publishing. p. 34. ISBN 1412009758.
- Annalee Grant (September 6, 2012). "The return of Hy Chanthavouth: Cambodian tenor visits his home-away-from home". Cranbrook Daily Townsman. Retrieved September 12, 2012.
- "Friends of Music Special Concert". Courier-Islander. September 5, 2012. Retrieved September 12, 2012.
- Amy Smart (September 1, 2012). "Toronto educator is dean at VCM". Times Colonist. Retrieved September 12, 2012.