Victorian College of the Arts Secondary School
|Victorian College of the Arts Secondary School|
|Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria
|Type||Performing Arts School|
|Founder||Lenton Parr and Jack Pitt|
|Affiliations||Australian Ballet School
National Institute of Circus Arts
University of Melbourne
Victorian College of the Arts Secondary School (VCASS), is a state government selective school located within the Melbourne Arts Precinct in Southbank, Melbourne, Australia. VCASS teaches students from Year 7 to 12. It has an enrolment of 340 students.
Students are accepted after annual auditions. All students share academic subjects, but follow either a specialised music, dance or visual arts training program for half the day. The school also provides academic classes to secondary students from other institutions including the Australian Ballet School, Tennis Australia, National Institute of Circus Arts, Diving Victoria and Gymnastics Victoria.
Instigated by the former tertiary institution Victorian College of the Arts (VCA), as a separate and complementary institution, VCASS was founded in 1978 by Lenton Parr and Jack Pitt (as the Victorian College of the Arts Technical School - VCATS). This was the same year that the tertiary VCA commenced its dance faculty, and VCATS was conceived as a preparatory school for the tertiary dance and music courses. In 1981 the name was changed to VCASS. For most of its history VCASS shared its campus and buildings with the tertiary VCA at 234 St Kilda Road, but in June 2009 moved to new purpose built premises at 57 Miles Street, Southbank.
VCE studies offered by the school:
Art, Biology, Chemistry, Dance, Drama, English, English (EAL), French, Further Mathematics, General Mathematics, Health and Human Development, History: 20th Century (1900-1945), History: 20th Century (since 1945), History: Revolutions, Literature, Mathematical Methods (CAS), Media, Music Investigation, Music Performance, Music Style and Composition, Physics, Psychology and Studio Arts.
- Rebecca Chambers, 1995 Young Australian of the Year
- Natalie Gauci, vocalist
- Marshall McGuire, harpist
- Patrick Savage, film composer and former principal first violin with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
- "Right School Right Place - Victorian Government Schools". State of Victoria, Department of Education and Training.
- Australian Ballet School[dead link]
- "Media Release: Curtain Up On Re-Staging Of Arts Secondary School". Legislation.vic.gov.au. 2006-08-14. Retrieved 2010-02-04.
- "School Studies Search". Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority.
- "Suburbs soar to the top of the class". The Herald Sun. 7 Jan 2011.
- "Melbourne singer claims Idol crown — TV & Radio — Entertainment — theage.com.au". Theage.com.au. 2007-11-26. Retrieved 2010-02-04.