|Developer(s)||Michel Gutierrez (mig)|
|Stable release||4.9.22 / March 24, 2014|
Video DownloadHelper is an extension for the Firefox web browser. It allows the user to download videos from sites that stream videos through HTTP, such as YouTube. The extension was developed by Michel Gutierrez.
Since version 4.9, Video DownloadHelper has introduced an additional video capture method through direct grabbing on the screen. This feature relies on CamStudio when running on the Windows platform and on RecordMyDesktop when on Linux, Video DownloadHelper providing a one-click capture start capability, without the need to manually specify the region of the screen to be captured.
As of May 2014[update], Video DownloadHelper is the second most popular extension after Adblock Plus.[non-primary source needed] The software is financed through ads on the developer's website, donations, and associated software sales.
Eric Griffith of PC Magazine named it one of the best Firefox extensions of 2012. Erez Zukerman of PC World rated it 4/5 stars and called it "a valuable tool". TechRadar rated it 5/5 stars and wrote, "Anyone who wants to watch videos, not only online, but also on the train, in the car or on the plane, is very well served with Video DownloadHelper." CNET rated it 3/5 stars and wrote, "DownloadHelper does work, and it couldn't be easier to use once you understand the process, but less-experienced users may give up before they ever get to save a single file with this freeware app."
- "Firefox add-ons sorted by popularity". Mozilla Foundation. Retrieved 2014-05-22.
- Gobry, Pascal-Emmanuel (2011-03-30). "This One Man Startup's App Has 85 Million Downloads And Is Wildly Profitable". Business Insider. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- Griffith, Eric (2012-10-16). "The Best Firefox Extensions and Add-Ons of 2012". PC Magazine. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- Zukerman, Erez (2012-01-31). "Buffering Too Slow? Watch Videos When They're Complete With Video DownloadHelper". PC World. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- "Video DownloadHelper". TechRadar. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- "Video DownloadHelper". CNET. 2009-02-27. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
|This Web software–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|