This video game allows players to create artwork using a mostly freestyle method and have them come to life with full video animation. The game does not support the use of a mouse or any other external component; forcing players to rely on the NES game controller to draw objects. There is a basic grey screen with plenty of logos around it. This game used the CHR RAM chip that was also used in a variety of NES video games during its era. Thirteen different variations of palettes and seven different kinds of tools (including various geometric shapes and the eraser) promise to enhance the creativity of any project. Once the player chooses one of the palettes, there are different colors to choose. Some of the fancier colors include: turquoise, pink, purple, light blue, and colored that have been dithered.
The game's instruction manual has included some ideas for drawing including: Crazy geometric designs with intense patches of color, graceful birds flying over untamed jungles, souped-up cars on a race track, and dinosaurs in the player's imaginary backyard. Pictures and video can be saved by recording the work through a VCR.
Unfortunately, an option to export the graphics to either a personal computer or a dot matrix printer made any image made in the game short-lived. Even other Nintendo Entertainment System games are not equipped to handle the images from Videomation. According to InstallSoftware.com, the game offers a relatively good short-term replay factor while lacking on the long-term replay factor.
- "Additional release information". Gamervision. Retrieved 2010-06-05.
- "Programmer information". Game Developer Research Institute. Retrieved 2013-01-12.
- "Release information". GameFAQs. Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- "# of players information/recording information". Gamervision. Retrieved 2010-05-17.
- "Game tools information". DEngel (GameFAQs). Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- "Instruction manual". NES World. Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- "Retro Video Game Evaluation: Videomation (Nes)". InstallSoftware.com. Retrieved 2013-01-12.