||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010)|
|Irrigation & Public Health Minister of Himachal Pradesh|
25 December 2012
|Minister for Power|
6 March 2003 – 28 December 2007
8 December 1927 |
|Political party||Indian National Congress|
Vidya Stokes (born 8 December 1927) is an active member of Indian National Congress from 1970 and of Pradesh Congress Committee since 1974. She was an elected member of Himachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly in 1974, 1982, 1985, 1990, 1998, 2003, 2007 and in 2012. She is a member of the Indian National Congress.
She was born at Kotgarh, District Shimla on 8 December 1927. She is an under graduate and was educated at Delhi University. She got married to Lal Chand Stokes who is a Horticulturist and a social worker.
She is the daughter-in-law of noted social worker Satyananda Stokes (an American settled in India), who later became a pioneer in horticulture in Himachal Pradesh. She has two daughter's who are living in U.S.
Vidya Stokes at the age of 83 was elected Hockey India president on 5 August 2010 after defeating Pargat Singh. Vidya Stokes's nomination was initially in violation of the age stipulation of 70 in the government guidelines.
She was a nominated member of All India Congress Committee, 1976. She was appointed as General Secretary of Pradesh Congress Committee, 1977. She was the chairperson of Finance Committee of the Pradesh Congress during Lok Sabha General Elections, 1980. She was the observer of All India Congress Committee for-
- Sikkim, Assembly elections, 1994,
- Re constitution of Congress Party in Assam, 1994,
- Elections to Punjab Legislative Assembly, 1997.
She also represented India in the Asian Women’s Co-operative Conference which was held at Kuala-Lumpur during the International Women’s year, 1977. She served as the Director of the State Bank of India. She was in Delhi Board from 1973 till 1974. She remained the President of State Co-operative Union for a period of four years. She also served on the Editorial Board of the Co-operative Magazine. She is the Vice-Chairperson of National Farmers Forum and the President of State Unit of National Farmers Forum. She was the Vice- Chairperson of HPMC Limited from November 1980 to 14 November 1984. She was the President of Indian Women’s Hockey Association in 1984, 1988, 1994 and 2003. She represented India in various International sports events and accompanied the India women's national field hockey team during the World Cup held in Spain. She has been continued the post of State Chief Commissioner of The Scouts/Guides Organisation an organisation Member of World Federation of Independent Scouts,(WFIS) Germany. She is the oldest winner in Himachal Pradesh and has won in the assembly elections for the eighth time in the year 2012.
- "Himachal Pradesh legislative assembly election, 1985". Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "Himachal Pradesh legislative assembly election, 1990". Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "Himachal Pradesh legislative assembly election, 2003". Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "Himachal Pradesh legislative assembly election, 2007". Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "Himachal Pradesh legislative assembly election, 2012". Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "House that Stokes built". 17 February 2013. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "83-year-old woman to steer Indian hockey". 5 August 2010. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- Official profile of Vidya Stokes @ hpvidhansabha.nic.in
- "At 84, Vidya Stokes wins eighth time". 20 December 2012. Retrieved 25 October 2013.