||This article has an unclear citation style. (December 2013)|
Vidyut Jammwal "Big RTL Thrill", March 2013
10 December 1980 |
|Occupation||Actor, martial artist|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
Vidyut Jammwal (born 10 December 1980), is an Indian actor.
He is a trained martial artist, having learned kalaripayat since the age of three. He is popularly known as "The New Age Action Hero of Bollywood"  and "India's New Action God" is an Indian film actor and martial artist. He has worked in Bollywood, Kollywood and Tollywood films.
Jammwal was one of three children born in an army officer's home, having lived across various parts of India owing to his father's transferable job and training in martial arts from an ashram in Kerala since he was three years old which was run by his mother. He has traveled the world training with martial artists in various forms, all of which find their base in kalaripayat. After earning a strong degree in martial arts, Jammwal traveled to over 25 countries where he performed live action shows, something beyond any regular showcase ever done before. He moved to Mumbai to pursue a career in films in 2008 and after pursuing a brief stint in modeling, he landed his debut role in Nishikant Kamat's Force after one audition and was chosen among thousands of other applicants for the role of Vishnu.
Given his elaborate expertise in the martial arts, he has committed himself to stunt and action training in the world of cinema. His first Bollywood outing Force, a remake of the Tamil film Kaaka Kaaka, alongside John Abraham. gave audiences a sneak peek into the kind of action they can expect from Vidyut. It earned him a clean sweep at the awards that year with him winning all the awards for Most Promising Debut for 2012 
He subsequently played supporting roles in the Telugu films Shakti and Oosaravelli, both starring NTR. In 2012, Jammwal made his debut in Tamil cinema with Billa II, as the antagonist opposite Ajith Kumar. For his role, he received critical appreciation. He worked on another Tamil film Thuppakki, opposite actor Vijay which became a blockbuster. He also received an award for the Best Actor in a Negative Role in SIIMA Awards for the film. He recently played a supporting and an important role in another Tamil film Anjaan as a partner of Suriya.
His second film Commando where he showcased realistic combat based action, all that he performed himself. With just the trailer launch, Vidyut created quite a stir and amassed over a million hits within a week of the trailer launch.
Although the film received a mixed critical reception, Jammwal and his action earned him great reviews. Noted critic Taran Adarsh mentioned in his review "COMMANDO clearly belongs to Vidyut and the liberty of watching him crushing everything and everyone in sight leaves you tongue-tied. By doing the stunts without a body double or cables, he fits into the definition of India's Next Gen action hero without a hitch. He's a fine actor too, although it's the action that takes precedence over histrionics here.".
Commando showcased internationally for the first time in July 2013 at the Fantasia Film Fest in Montreal  followed by a screening at the Fantastic Fest in Texas in September 2013. He received great feedback from international media and action directors calling him India's answer to Bruce Lee and Tony Jaa. In addition, the media also tagged him as one of the sexiest men they'd seen. He has been part of a number of popular lists - Most Desirable Fittest men with Best Bodies, Sexiest Men Alive being just a few.
After the success of Commando, he was next seen donning the avatar of a sharp shooter cop in Tigmanshu Dhulia, Bullett Raja and was loved for his action and his performance. Known for his gritty and edgy cinematic style, Tigmanshu has cast him once again for his next directorial venture: Yaara, a remake of a French film Les Lyonnais where Vidyut will be seen in a retro avatar. Yaara is one of 3 films Vidyut has signed - other two being a large format picturesque delight by director Ram Madhvani who plans on creating an aura similar to the Hollywood flick 300. Following that he will be seen in director Rajkumar Santoshi's next dramatic venture.
He and his very own team of stunt men who designed, choreographed and executed all his action sequences with him for all his films.
Awards and accolades
- 2014 - Zee Cine Awards - Umeed Ka Naya Chehra 
- 2013 - SIIMA Award for Best Actor in a Negative Role
- 2012 - Stardust Awards - Breakthrough Performance Male 
- 2012 - FICCI Frames - Best Debut Male
- 2012 - Cosmopolitan Fun Fearless Awards - Best Debut Male 
- 2014 - PETA's Hottest Vegetarian 
- 2013 - Prominently featured on the List of Most Desirable Men by The Times of India/Zoom 
- 2013 - Prominently featured on the List of Chennai's Most Desirable Men by The Times of India 
- 2012 - Prominently featured on the List of Most Desirable Men by The Times of India123/Zoom 
- 2012 - Prominently featured on the List of Chennai's Most Desirable Men by The Times of India <
- 2012 - Prominently featured on the List of Sexiest Men Alive by People Magazine India 
- 2012 - On the list of Top 5 Fittest Men by Men's Health magazine India 
- 2011 - Prominently featured on the List of Most Desirable Men by The Times of India/Zoom 
- 2011 - Prominently featured on the List of Best Bodies by Men's Health magazine India
Jammwal is a vegetarian and appeared in an ad for PETA with the caption “Powered by Veggies! Go Vegetarian”. He along with Kangana Ranaut were adjudged as PETA India's Hottest Vegetarian Celebrities of 2013.
His workout regime combines martial arts training with various other elements of cardio vascular, weight and interval training. More recently Jammwal has adopted and added Anti Gravity Yoga and Suspension TRX to his intense workout regime  Jammwal is a rock climber. 
Jammwal visited the Shaolin Temple in China. His visit was meant to honour Bodhidharma, a Buddhist monk who is credited for taking the teachings of Kalaripayattu from India to China. He is also believed[who?] to have spent a week training as part in martial arts training at the temple.
|2011||Stanley Ka Dabba||Rosy Miss's Fiancee||Hindi|
|2012||Thuppakki||Leader of Sleeper Cells||Tamil|
|2013||Commando||Karanvir Singh Dogra||Hindi|
|2013||Bullett Raja||ACP Arun Singh Munna||Hindi|
- Jamwal, Vidyut. "Vidyut Jammwal - About". Facebook. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Vidyut Jammwal Facebook".
- "John's opponent to display his martial arts skills". The Times of India. September 9, 2011. Retrieved February 3, 2012.
- "Commando: I want to be unique, says Vidyut Jamwal". Times of India. Retrieved 2013-04-04.[dead link]
- "Vidyut Jamwal ready to be typecast as an action hero". Times of India. 2013-04-03. Retrieved 2013-04-04.
- Kunal Guha (Sep 7, 2011). "This guy will fight John in Force". Yahoo!. Retrieved January 14, 2012.
- "Filmfare Awards: Juiciest bites from the best Bollywood celebs". The Times of India. January 30, 2012.
- "Vidyut Jamwal, actor". The New Indian Express. 30 April 2012. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Billa Ii Preview – Billa Ii Movie Preview". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "Ajith's warm, Vijay's cool: Vidyut Jamwal". Times of India. Feb 2, 2012. Retrieved 2 February 2012.
- "Critics' review: watch Commando for Vidyut Jamwal". Hindustan Times. 2013-04-12. Retrieved 2013-04-13.
- Adarsh, Taran. "Commando (2013) Movie Review". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2013-04-13.
- "Vidyut Jamwal in Hot New PETA INDIA AD: GET TOUGH – GO VEGETARIAN".
- "Kangana Ranaut and Vidyut Jamwal are India's Hottest Vegetarians". Biharprabha News. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vidyut Jamwal.|