Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties between States and International Organizations or between International Organizations
The Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties between States and International Organizations or Between International Organizations (VCLTIO) is an extension of the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties which deals with treaties between States. It was developed by the International Law Commission and opened for signature on 21 March 1986.
Article 85 of the Convention provides that it enters into force after the ratification by 35 states (international organizations may ratify, but their ratification does not count towards the number required for entry into force). As of April 2014, the treaty has been ratified by 31 states and 12 international organizations. As a result, the Convention is not yet in force.
Parties to the convention
There are 31 state parties, where the convention is ratified: Mexico, Colombia, Argentina, Uruguay, Senegal, Liberia, Gabon, Australia, United Kingdom, Denmark, Sweden, Estonia, Belarus, Moldova, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Greece, Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Italy, Austria, Croatia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Malta, and Albania.
Additionally, there are 12 international organizations that issued formal confirmations of the convention: IAEA, ICAO, Interpol, ILO, IMO, OPCW, CTBTO Preparatory Commission, the UN, UNIDO, UPU, WHO, WIPO.
The signatory states, that have not finished their ratification procedures are: Ivory Coast, DR Congo, United States, Brazil, Bosnia and Herzegovina, South Korea, Japan, Serbia, Montenegro, Morocco, Egypt, Sudan, Burkina Faso, Benin, Zambia, and Malawi. Additionally, there are international organizations that have signed, but not completed their formal confirmation procedures: CoE, FAO, ITU, UNESCO and WMO.
- Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations (1961)
- Vienna Convention on Consular Relations (1963)
- Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties (1969)
- List of Vienna conventions
- Jus tractatuum
- Status of the Convention
- for the whole kingdom
- Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties between States and International Organizations or between International Organizations 1986
- The International Law Commission's Draft articles on the law of treaties between States and international organizations or between international organizations with commentaries 1982
- Introductory note by Karl Zemanek, procedural history note and audiovisual material on the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties between States and International Organizations or between International Organizations in the Historic Archives of the United Nations Audiovisual Library of International Law