The Viennese microbrewery (German: Wiener Brauhaus, Wiener Kleinbrauerei) is a typical institution of Vienna. These microbreweries serve their own beer to the public. They also serve food, in many cases traditional Austrian dishes. In many cases the actual brew equipment is in the center of the place and the tables for the customers are located around the equipment. Some microbreweries open in the late morning and offer both lunch and dinner, others open in the late afternoon. Notice: The term "X-Bräu" does not always mean that it is a real brew pub.
Well-known Viennese microbreweries
The order is by district.
- 1516, 1. district, Schwarzenbergstraße 2; Opening times: Mon–Thu 10:00–14:00, Fri 10:00–3:00, Sat 11:00–3:00, Sun 11:00–2:00; this is an American-style brew pub with music from Rolling Stones to Michael Jackson and American food like baby ribs and burritos.
- Schwarzenberg Stadtbrauerei, 1. district, Schellinggasse 14; Opening times: Mon-Thu 10:00-24:00, Fri 10:00-03:00, Sat 17:00-03:00, Sun closed, Holiday 17:00-24:00.
- Salm Bräu, 3. district, Rennweg 8; Opening times: Mon-Sun 11:00-24:00; winner of several international prizes, also brew a beer liquor
- Wieden Bräu, 4. district, Waaggasse 5; Opening times: Mon-Sun 11:30-24:00; besides 4 home made beers they serve specialty beers such as whiskey beer. Occasionally they organize beer seminars.
- Hopfenschampus, 4. district, Rechte Wienzeile 25-27 (in Naschmarkt), Hopfenschampus is a new creation made from beer and wine, it is bottled like a champagne. The name derives from "hopfen" meaning hops and "champus" meaning champagne.
- Perchten Bräu, 5. district, Schönbrunner Straße 98; Opening times: Mon-Fri 11:00-24:00, Sat-Sun closed.
- Bauern Bräu, 6. district, Gumpendorfer Str. 134-136 (Arik Brauer Haus, near Raimundtheater); Opening times: Mon-Sun 16:00-2:00; they do not brew their beer in the restaurant but in their associated microbrewery in Styria. They won several prizes at the 2009, 2012 and 2013 Austrian beer competition. The brewery is the first carbon neutral brewery in Austria.
- Sieben Stern Bräu, 7. district, Siebensterngasse 19; Opening times: Mon-Sun 11:00-24:00; they serve hemp, smoked and spicy chili beer amongst others
- Plutzerbräu, 7. district, Schrankgasse 2 / Ecke Stiftgasse; Opening times: Sun-Thu 16:00-24:00, Fri-Sat 16:00-1:00, in spring and summer starting March opening time at 10:00. They serve their own dark, light and mixed beer as well as a specialty brew such as Irish stout. The bar plays music and has TV sets.
- Lichtenthaler Bräu, 9. district, Liechtensteinstraße 108; Opening times: Mon-Fri 12:00-23:30, Sat 16:00-23:30. "Helles" is their standard brew, but have up to 3 specials (ales, lagers, Weizen, stout, porter, IPAs) and bottle conditioned strong beers.
- The Highlander, 9. district, Sobieskiplatz 4; Opening times: Sun-Thu 16:00-24:00, Fri-Sat 16:00-1:00.
- Medl Bräu, 14. district, Linzer Strasse 275; Opening times: Mon-Sat 16:00-24:00, Sun closed. The serve 5 home-brewed beers: Maerzen, Blond, Dark, Mixed (Half blond, half dark), and in season a Bock.
- Schwarzer Rabe, 16. district, Ottakringerstraße 180
- Fischer Bräu, 19. district, Billrothstrasse 17
- Grinzinger Bräu, 19. district, Cobenzlgasse 3, Himmelstrasse 4
- Eipeltauerbier, 19. district, Heiligenstädterlände 11
- Kadlez, 21. district, Floridsdorfer Hauptstraße 9