Vietnam's Next Top Model
||This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion, tone, or spelling. (December 2013)|
|Vietnam's Next Top Model|
|Created by||Tyra Banks|
|Presented by||Vũ Anh Tuấn (live finale)
Hoàng Linh (finale correspondent)
|Judges||Nathan Lee (Presumably Head judge: 2010-1st)
Elizabeth Thủy Tiên (2010-1st)
Hoàng Ngân (2010-1st)
Vũ Nguyễn Hà Anh (Head judge: 2010-2nd)
Vũ Đức Hải (2010-2nd)
Huy Võ (2010-2nd)
Nguyễn Xuân Lan (Head judge: 2011-2012, 2014-present)
Phạm Hoài Nam (2011-2012)
Đinh Nam Trung (2011-present)
Đỗ Mạnh Cường (2011-2014)
Phạm Thị Thanh Hằng (Head judge: 2013-2014)
Samuel Hoàng (2014-present)
|Theme music composer||David Thomas - Les Pierce|
|Country of origin||Vietnam|
|Original language(s)||Vietnamese & English|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||45 as of 25 November 2012[update]|
|Executive producer(s)||Lê Thị Quỳnh Trang
Nguyễn Văn Dần
Ryan Hoàng Hubris
|Producer(s)||Hoa Thanh Tùng|
|Location(s)||Ho Chi Minh City|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Multimedia JSC
|Distributor||Multimedia JSC (domestically)
CBS Television Distribution(internationally)
|Picture format||480i (4:3 SDTV)
720p (16:9 HDTV)
|Original run||September 30, 2010 – present|
Vietnam’s Next Top Model (Người mẫu Việt Nam or VNTM) is a Vietnamese reality television show in which a number of female contestants compete for the title of "Vietnam's Next Top Model". This chance comes with the opportunity to launch a career in the modeling industry with a prize, including cash and a feature in a fashion magazine among others.
The series features a group of young female contestants, aged between 18 and 25, who live together in a house for several months while taking part in challenges, photo shoots and meetings with members of the modelling industry. Normally, one poor-performing contestant is eliminated each week until the last contestant remaining is crowned "Vietnam's Next Top Model" and receives a modelling contract for representation and other prizes.
The first season of Vietnam's Next Top Model had 16 episodes and started with 15 contestants. The second season featured more hopefuls within 17 episodes. In each episode, one contestant is eliminated, though in rare cases a multiple elimination occurred by consensus of the judging panel. Makeovers are administered to contestants early in the season.
The first cycle was overseen by two panels of judges. The first one included male model Nathan Lee, who was set to host the whole season together with international female model Elizabeth Thủy Tiên and fashion designer Hoàng Ngân. They were however removed and replaced by Hà Anh, Huy Võ and Đức Hải immediately after the casting process.
During press reports for cycle two, the judging panel was renewed and increased in number by including more influential people in the Vietnamese fashion industry. Six former judging members (from two panels) did not return and were replaced by a new panel, including make-up artist Nam Trung, fashion designer Đỗ Mạnh Cường and fashion photographer Phạm Hoài Nam. Former model Xuân Lan took the host position and head judge over Hà Anh. Xuân Lan remained the host of the show for later cycles with the exception of cycle 4 when she was pregnant; Thanh Hằng was the host for that cycle.
Asia's Next Top Model cycle 2 judge Adam Williams has become a recurring guest judge since cycle 4. In cycle 5, Đỗ Mạnh Cường departed from the show and was replaced by Samuel Hoàng.
|Elizabeth Thủy Tiên||♦|
|Nguyễn Hoàng Ngân||♦|
|Vũ Nguyễn Hà Anh||♦|
|Vũ Đức Hải||♦|
|Nguyễn Xuân Lan||♦||♦||♦|
|Phạm Hoài Nam||♦||♦|
|Phạm Thị Thanh Hằng||♦|
|Đinh Nam Trung||♦||♦||♦||♦|
|Đỗ Mạnh Cường||♦||♦||♦|
Contestants auditioning must be between 18 and 25 years of age. Starting from cycle 2, girls must be at least 5'7" tall, a higher standard than the previous ones. Starting from cycle 4, men are able to compete in the show. They must be at least 5'9" tall in order to qualify.
|Cycle||Premiere date||Winner||Runner-up||Other contestants in order of elimination||Number of contestants||Destination(s)|
|1||September 30, 2010||Khiếu Thị Huyền Trang||Nguyễn Thị Tuyết Lan||Lại Thị Thanh Hương, Trần Lê Hoài Thương, Bùi Thị Thu Thùy, Nguyễn Thanh Hằng, Bùi Thị Hoàng Oanh, Nguyễn Diệp Anh, Hồ Mỹ Phương, Phạm Thị Hương, Nguyễn Giáng Hương, Đàm Thu Trang, Trần Thị Thu Hiền, Đỗ Thị Thanh Hoa, Nguyễn Thu Thủy||15||
|2||September 25, 2011||Hoàng Thị Thùy||Nguyễn Thị Trà My||Lưu Khánh Linh, Kikki Le, Huỳnh Thị Kim Tuyền, Dương Thị Dung, Phan Ngọc Phương Nghi, Nguyễn Thị Hoàng Oanh, Nguyễn Thùy Dương, Lê Thị Phương, Trần Thanh Thủy, Nguyễn Thị Tuyết, Nguyễn Thị Phương Anh, Nguyễn Thị Thùy Trang, Lê Thị Thúy||15||
Buôn Ma Thuột
|3||August 19, 2012||Mai Thị Giang||Kha Mỹ Vân||Nguyễn Thi Châm, Nguyễn Thi Hằng, Lương Thị Kim Loan, Lê Thị Hằng, Cao Thi Hà, Lê Thanh Thảo, Đỗ Thu Hà, Vũ Thị Minh Nguyệt, Nguyễn Thị Ngân, Dương Thị Thanh, Nguyễn Thị Ngọc Thúy, Nguyễn Thị Nhã Trúc, Cao Thị Thiên Trang||15||
|4||October 6, 2013||Mâu Thị Thanh Thủy||Vũ Tuấn Việt||Nguyễn Quốc Minh Tòng, Lê Uyên Phương Thảo, Đỗ Thị Kim Ngân, Ngô Thị Quỳnh Mai, Tạ Thúc Bình, Phan Thị Thùy Linh, Phạm Thị Kim Thoa, Trần Mạnh Kiên, Nguyễn Trần Trung, Đinh Hà Thu, Nguyễn Thị Thanh, Trần Quang Đại, Dương Mạc Anh Quân, Nguyễn Thị Hằng, Lê Văn Kiên, Nguyễn Thị Chà Mi||18||
|5||November 1, 2014||TBA||TBA||Nguyễn Văn Thắng, Hồ Văn Nam, Nguyễn Thị Thanh Tuyền, Lê Đức Anh, Lê Thị Kim Dung, Trần Yến Nhi, Phạm Công Toàn, Chế Nguyễn Quỳnh Châu, Lê Đăng Khánh, Phạm Tấn Khang
Still in the running:
Cao Thị Ngân, Đặng Văn Hội, Nguyễn Thị Oanh, Phạm Duy Anh, Tiêu Ngọc Linh, Tiêu Ngọc Linh, Tạ Quang Hùng
Criticism and controversies
At the beginning of producing season 1 and now season 2, the Vietnamese version of Top Model franchise faced up with so many issues that Người lao động, among well-known daily newspapers, dubbed the Vietnam show a clear failure of the original.
After just two episodes of the first season aired, there was a bunch of mess involved judges. Two panels of judges were revealed. The first panel included male model Nathan Lee, who was set to host the whole season together with his fellows: international female model Elizabeth Thủy Tiên and fashion designer Hoàng Ngân. They were all axed and were replaced by second panel when the main competition started. According to reports, producers axed Nathan Lee for many reasons, namely: conflicts, unprofessional work and objections to Elizabeth taking the host role. The former panel and producers filed lawsuits against each other.
After the first judging panel's quickfire departure, the second panel was introduced but failed to impress fashionistas. Male model Đức Hải had only gained fame by appearing in made-for-television films rather than a model career. Huy Võ is new to the fashion audience and is better known as a judge of VNNTM after airing. It was also discovered Huy Võ was only a student at Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising at the time of filming.
The ultimate purpose of Top Model is to search for not only the winner but potential models from girls living an ordinary life. VNNTM has been criticized harshly for featuring girls who had worked previously as models. Some among the first season's cast members who were discovered to have previously worked as models are Tuyết Lan (the runner-up), Đàm Thu Trang, Hoàng Oanh, Bích Trâm and Bảo Trân.
In an episode featuring the final five, Thu Hiền asked Đức Hải for a more clear reasons why her photo was deemed worst and then entered into an argument with him about on the attitude a professional model should have. She was sent home for her attitude rather than for having the worst photo of the week and received a 'Goodbye' in tears from Hà Anh.
- Unsecured info
Though the info of the show was leaked out, audience could easily know who was eliminated next due to some contestants' appearances on other shows before their elimination went to air.
The final two girls and producers were also accused of playing trick on audiences when producing live photographs on stage. A photo of them appeared on screen before the photoshoot had started.
A new set of judges were introduced on the first day of auditions brought much happiness and excitement to the audience. Some critics have complained that this panel, which boasts loads of fashion industry expertise in Vietnam, had no international experience and was in contrast with axed panel.
Responding to questions regarding the qualifications of a top model from VTC News, Ms. Thúy Nga Director of Elite Vietnam stated mostly body shapes of finalists were rough, not proportioned, had serious troubles of measurement and the face of no one had inspired her. She did emphasize 'being a Top Model for 3 months is unbelievable' and she also thought the competition was possibly considered a game show of recreation. 
At the beginning of the competition, head judge Xuân Lan unveiled Thùy Trang, Hoàng Oanh, Hoàng Thùy, Thùy Dương who had served as professional models with much modelling experience.
- Dramatic acts / Boycott threats
Lê Thúy's crying prior to overcoming troubles, the request from Xuân Lan for contestant Lê Phương to praise her attractiveness over landscape, Khánh Linh's eligibility for VNTM by jumping into a swimming pool during cold weather confused viewers. Some viewers doubted whether they were watching a drama rather than a reality show.
During filming of the finalists; Hoàng Oanh, Thùy Dương and Phương Nghi were faced with a lawsuit from producers for leaking the elimination order prior to the final episode being aired. The lawsuit claimed the three girls should pay about $714.000 (15 billions VND) due to contract violation.
First season head judge Hà Anh has also shown the intention to file a lawsuit in regards to her privacy in tweeting online. She and Đức Hải had commented ironically about a runway challenge for a so-called top model winner in episode 9. The ironic joke seemed to raise tensions and thus they receive boycott.
Post - Cycle 2 controversies
Around New York Fashion Week (NYFW F/W 2012), in which Huyền Trang (cycle 1 winner), Tuyết Lan (cycle 1 runner-up) and Hoàng Thùy (currently cycle 2 winner) participated,  Tuyết Lan was named cycle 1 winner over actual winner Huyền Trang, leading to a controversy on whether Huyền Trang was dethroned so that Tuyết Lan took all the advantages. Exec Quỳnh Trang responded claiming it to be a typing mistake when making a formal request to enter New York City more easily and Huyền Trang was still the first ever winner. When asked about New York Fashion Week in an interview, former host Hà Anh shared some of her real modelling experience, also revealing that Hoang Thuy and Tuyet Lan might not be walking at the actual New York Fashion Week (Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week), based on the invitation letter. This upset producer Quỳnh Trang and fellow judge Đỗ Mạnh Cường, leading to tension and anger towards Hà Anh. Hà Anh then accused the exec of rigging the show and accused her of unfairly treating Huyền Trang. She also revealed that Quỳnh Trang might have misled the audience in Vietnam and that neither Lan nor Thùy got chances at NYFW through the show executive but from H.Trang herself. Fellow judge Huy Võ, from team Hà Anh, thought H.Trang was too nice to steel the main prizes of the original cycle. Later H.Trang tweeted confirmation of Hà Anh's statements and on not receiving the 1 billion VND modelling contract, a trip to NY for training nor a contract with Revlon cosmetics worth 200 million. Trang even declared to seriously break her relationship with the show. Responding via the show's official Facebook page, the show found HTrang and they were misunderstanding each other and thus H.Trang herself violated rules to destroy contracts. A make-up artist from season 1 crews laid all the blame on Q.Trang's unprofession, not on Revlon particularly nor on H.Trang.
On behalf of the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism, vice headmaster of Performing Art Agency Nguyễn Thành Nhân criticized Vietnam Television (even though it did not help in producing the show) suggesting VTV should reject the rights to owning VNNTM.
- "Vietnam's Next Top Model chính thức tuyển chọn", Dân Trí, by: Phan Lê, date: 2010-08-15.
- "Dồn dập truyền hình thực tế", Người lao động, by: Thùy Trang, date: 2011-09-29.
- "Vietnam's Next Top Model 'thay máu' toàn bộ Ban giám khảo",bee.com.vn, by: Tâm Long, date: 2010-10-08.
- "Chuyện như đùa ở cuộc thi người mẫu", Thanh Niên, by: Đỗ Tuấn & Nguyên Vân, date: 2010-10-13.
- "Những vụ kiện 'hot' nhất làng giải trí Việt 2010", laodong.com.vn, by: Chí Anh, date: 2010-11-06.
- "Thay BGK Vietnam's Next Top Model vì bất đồng với nhà sản xuất", Bưu điện Việt Nam via Zing, by: Quỳnh Anh, date: 2010-10-08.
- "Giới thời trang thất vọng với VN's Next Top Model", VnExpress, by: D.L. & K.H., date: 2011-01-12
- "Thất vọng với Vietnam's Next Top Model", Người lao động, by: Thùy Trang, date: 2010-10-17.
- "Hà Anh khóc khi Thu Hiền bị loại", Bưu điện Việt Nam via Zing, by: Quân Anh, date: 2010-12-24.
- "Vietnam's Next Top Model lấy kịch bản của Germany's Next Top Model?", Dân Trí, by: NP, date: 2011-30-01.
- "Vietnam's Next Top Model: mới chỉ là 'next top'...", Đất Việt, by: Võ Hà, date: 2011-01-25.
- "What's new for Vietnam's Next Top Model", English Edition of Thanh Nien Online, by: Kim, date: 2011-08-19.
- "Người mẫu có... xấu như Vietnam’s Next Top Model?", VTC News, by: Chu Ngũ Hương, date: 2011-11-17.
- "Thách thức cho Người mẫu Việt Nam", Tuổi Trẻ, by: Quỳnh Nguyễn, date: 2011-10-14.
- "Vietnam’s Next Top Model: Vào càng sâu, mắng càng... tệ(?)", by: Hoàng Phương, date: 2011-11-14.
- "Thất vọng với Vietnam’s next top model", by: Thùy Trang, date: 2011-11-11.
- "Dính scandal, VN’s Next Top Model bị tẩy chay", VnMedia, by: Lam Trần, date: 2011-11-23.
- "Hoàng Oanh có thể bị Next Top Model kiện đòi 5 tỷ đồng", ngoisao.net, by: Quân Ngọc, date: 2011-11-26.
- "Final outcome of Vietnam’s Next Top Model 2011 leaked out?",Vietnamnet, by: Thu Hằng, date: 2011-11-25.
- "Next Top Model to sue contestants for US$714,000", Tuoi Tre News, date: 2011-11-29.
- "Hà Anh sẽ có đại diện luật sư để bảo vệ phát ngôn", Dân Trí, by: HH, date: 2011-11-25.
- "Êkip cũ 'đá xoáy' bộ sậu Vietnam Next Top Model", Xzone, by: CG, date: 2011-11-22.
- "Hoàng Thùy và Tuyết Lan tại New York Fashion Week", 2sao.vn, by: Huy Minh, date: 2012-02-16.
- "Huyền Trang tiếp tục xuất hiện trên Vogue & Harper's Bazaar online", kenh14.vn, date: 2012-02-17.
- "Extrapolating controversies rock Top Model", Thanh Nien, date: 2010-03-02.
- "Vietnam’s Next top model: Kết thúc nhưng vẫn nóng vì scandal", An ninh thủ đô, by: Hà Anh, date: 2012-02-18.
- "'Hoán đổi ngôi vị' VNTM: Huyền Trang chính thức lên tiếng", kenh14.vn, date: 2012-02-18.
- "Không có nhầm lẫn gì về ngôi vị Next Top Model", Vietnam+, by: Xuân Mai, date: 2012-02-26.
- "Hà Anh declared fire". 2012-02-23.
- "Tranh cãi Hà Anh-Giám đốc Next Top: Lộ thông tin độc", Phụ nữ today, by: Bánh Bao, date: 2012-02-24.
- "Hà Anh - Đỗ Mạnh Cường và văn hóa ứng xử của 'Sao'", VTC News, by: Bích Ngọc, date: 2012-02-25.
- "Mẹ Hà Anh bức xúc vì con gái bị vu oan", vietnamnet.vn, by: C.G, date: 2012-02-24.
- "Đỗ Mạnh Cường bỏ lửa vào tay Hà Anh trên facebook?", Phụ nữ today, by: Bánh Bao, date: 2012-02-26.
- "Hà Anh phản pháo lại lời 'quy kết' của BTC Next Top Model", ngoisao.net, by: Quỳnh Như, date: 2012-02-25.
- "Hoàng Thùy, Tuyết Lan và dối trá mang tên show quốc tế", VTC News, by: An Yên, date: 2012-02-20.
- "NTK Huy Võ: Huyền Trang từ chối giải thưởng vì bị 'bỏ rơi'", eva.vn, by: Trương Trúc Mai, date: 2012-02-18.
- "Hà Anh: 'Tôi xấu hổ về giải thưởng của Huyền Trang'", eva.vn, by: Cooc Tran, date: 2012-02-20.
- "Huyen Trang unveiled". 2012-02-29.
- "To Huyền Trang – Vietnam’s Next Top Model 2010 winner". 2012-03-01.
- "Giám đốc VNTM tiếp tục bị vạch mặt lừa đảo", Báo Đất Việt, by: Thanh Phạm, date: 2012-03-01.
- "Xung quanh việc "xuất ngoại" của Vietnam's Next top Model: Khẩu chiến", giadinh.net.vn, by: Thanh Hà, date: 2012-02-29.
- "Vietnam's Next Top Model có nên tiếp tục mùa sau?", vietnamnet.vn, by: C.G, date: 2012-02-29.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vietnam's Next Top Model.|