|This article is outdated. (October 2011)|
||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the Vietnamese Wikipedia. (August 2012)|
Type of site
|Internet encyclopedia project|
The Vietnamese Wikipedia (Vietnamese: Wikipedia tiếng Việt) is the Vietnamese-language edition of Wikipedia, a free, publicly editable, online encyclopedia supported by the Wikimedia Foundation. As with other language editions of Wikipedia, the project's content is both created and accessed using the MediaWiki wiki software. Vietnamese Wikipedia's primary competitor is the Encyclopedic Dictionary of Vietnam (Từ điển Bách khoa toàn thư Việt Nam), a state-funded encyclopedic dictionary also available online.
As of December 2014, it has about 1,111,000 articles. It is the largest Wikipedia in non-European language, as well as the largest for a language which is official in only one country. However, it has only 375,000 articles manually created, 67% of its articles having been made by bots, and thus ranks 3rd among non-European language Wikipedias after the Japanese and Chinese ones.
The Vietnamese Wikipedia initially went online in November 2002, with a front page and an article about the Internet Society. The project received little attention and did not begin to receive significant contributions until it was "restarted" in October 2003 and the newer, Unicode-capable MediaWiki software was installed soon after.
By August 2008, the Vietnamese Wikipedia had grown to more than 50,000 articles – a milestone it achieved on August 26 – approximately 432 of which were created by bots. By the time the project reached the 100,000-article milestone on September 12, 2009, bot-generated articles made up around 5% of its corpus. Short articles are designated "stubs"; such articles number in the tens of thousands and include most of the bot-generated articles.
The Vietnamese Wikipedia's article count reached 500,000 on 28 September 2012 and 1,000,000 on 15 June 2014.
- "Vietnamese Wikipedia" (in Vietnamese). vi.wikipedia.org. 2014-07-28. Retrieved 2012-05-05.
- Zachte, Erik (2008-07-18). "Wikipedia Statistics Vietnamese". Wikimedia Statistics. Wikimedia Foundation. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- Data compiled using Escaladix's created articles list and a list of bots at the Vietnamese Wikipedia.
- "Wikipedia:Robot". Bách khoa toàn thư mở Wikipedia (in Vietnamese). Wikimedia Foundation. 2009-09-14. Retrieved 2009-09-14.
- Wikipedia:Bài sơ khai at the Vietnamese Wikipedia.
- Wikipedia:Gõ tiếng Việt/Tiếng Anh, Vietnamese Wikipedia.
|Vietnamese edition of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia|
|This Wikimedia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|