|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015)|
|Awarded for||Excellence in cinematic achievements in Tamil cinema|
|Presented by||STAR Vijay|
The Vijay Awards are presented by the Tamil television channel STAR Vijay to honour excellence in Tamil cinema. It has given annually since 2006, with the latest - the 9th edition - edition of the award giving ceremony having been held in the month of April of 2015 being the ninth edition of it. The awards are decided by a jury, consisting of noted filmmakers, critics and technicians, while winners in a separate category named "Favourite awards" are chosen by public voting. The awards have been sponsored by Reliance Mobile, Univercell and Close Up.
The first edition of the awards was held to select the most popular artists, however not for any particular work or year. In the first year of the awards, viewers were asked to choose their all time favourite film and artists in 9 categories - Favourite Hero, Heroine, Film, Director, Music director, Playback Singer Male / Female, Villain and Comedian - while 10 Jury Special Awards were also introduced. The format was completely reworked the following year and from 2008 onwards, the works of the preceding year were honoured, with the majority of prizes being selected by a committee, while awards in five categories (Favorite Hero, Heroine, Film, Director and Song) are chosen by public voting. The award for Favorite Song was introduced in 2008.
- Best Film
- Best Director
- Best Actor
- Best Actress
- Best Supporting Actor
- Best Supporting Actress
- Best Comedian
- Best Villain
- Best Debut Actor
- Best Debut Actress
- Best Music Director
- Best Cinematographer
- Best Editor
- Best Art Director
- Best Male Playback Singer
- Best Female Playback Singer
- Best Lyricist
- Best Dialogue Writer
- Best Story, Screenplay Writer
- Best Choreographer
- Best Stunt Director
- Best Make Up
- Best Costume Designer
- Best Find of the Year
- Best Crew
- Contribution to Tamil Cinema
- Vijay Award for Entertainer of the Year
- Chevalier Sivaji Ganesan Award for Excellence in Indian Cinema
- Vijay Special Jury Award
- Favourite Music Director (2006 only)
- Favourite Villain (2006 only)
- Favourite Comedian (2006 only)
- Favourite Playback Singer (Male) (2006 only)
- Favourite Playback Singer (Female) (2006 only)
- Icon of the Year (2006–2007)
- Superstar of Tomorrow (2006 only)
The ceremony is held every year at the Jawaharlal Nehru Indoor Stadium in Chennai and is telecasted on STAR Vijay only. However, it is not live televised. Except for the first edition, the ceremonies are being held in May or June or July, though always before the announcement of the Filmfare Awards South.
|1st Vijay Awards||June 23, 2007||Yugi Sethu||Reliance Mobile|
|2nd Vijay Awards||May 3, 2008||Yugi Sethu||Reliance Mobile|
|3rd Vijay Awards||June 13, 2009||C Gopinath||Univercell|
|4th Vijay Awards||May 29, 2010||C Gopinath||Univercell|
|5th Vijay Awards||June 25, 2011||C Gopinath and Sivakarthikeyan||Close-Up|
|6th Vijay Awards||June 16, 2012||C Gopinath and Sivakarthikeyan||Close-Up|
|7th Vijay Awards||May 11, 2013||C Gopinath and R. Madhavan||Close-Up|
|8th Vijay Awards||July 5, 2014||C Gopinath and Divyadharshini||Gionee|
|9th Vijay Awards||April 25, 2015||C Gopinath and Divyadharshini||Poorvika|
- Most Awards to a Single person
- Most Awards to a Single Movie
- Most Nominations to a Single person
- Most Nominations to a Single Movie
- "ITFA ceremony in Malaysia". Thehindu.com. 2003-10-31. Retrieved 2015-03-31.
- "Univercell Vijay Awards - The Jury speaks - Tamil Movie News". Indiaglitz.com. Retrieved 2015-03-31.
- "Indian Television Dot Com | Grande finale of Reliance Mobile Vijay Awards". Indiantelevision.com. 2006-06-11. Retrieved 2015-03-31.
- "Grande finale of Reliance Mobile Vijay Awards". Wirelessfederation.com. 2006-12-21. Retrieved 2015-03-31.
- "Vijay awards". Thehindu.com. 2007-02-02. Retrieved 2015-03-31.
- "Vijay Awards". Web.archive.org. Retrieved 2015-03-31.