Vijay Kumar (sport shooter)
19 August 1985 |
Himachal Pradesh, India
Subedar Major Vijay Kumar AVSM, SM (born 19 August 1985) is a sport shooter from India. He won the silver medal in the individual 25 metre rapid fire pistol event at the 2012 Summer Olympics. Kumar hails from Barsar village of Hamirpur district of Himachal Pradesh and is a serving Subedar Major (Warrant Officer Class I) in the Dogra Regiment (16th Battalion) Indian Army. Vijay Kumar is supported by the Olympic Gold Quest initiative. He has been posted at Army Marksmanship Unit (AMU) Mhow since 2003 where he is being coached by the Russian Pavel Smirnov.
- 1 Shooting career
- 2 Performance timelines
- 3 Awards and Recognitions
- 4 References
- 5 External links
2006 - 2009
At the 2006 Commonwealth Games, he won two gold medals: the individual 25 meter rapid fire pistol competition and the pairs competition in the same event together with Pemba Tamang. The same year, he won a bronze medal in the Asian Games despite actually finishing fourth because of a rule that prevented China from winning all three medals.  The next year, he finished second at the Asian Championship in 25 metre center-fire pistol.
2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games
In the 2010 Commonwealth Games, held in the capital of his home country, he won three gold medals and one silver.
The list of events are as follows:
Gurpreet Singh and Vijay Kumar scored 1162 points in the 25m event setting a new Commonwealth games record on 7 October 2010.
He scored 787.5(583 in qualifying and 204.5 in the final round) to ensure the rapid fire pistol gold for the Indian team on 8 October 2010. These scores bettered the previous Games Records of 581(qualifying) and 778.2(total) also set by him in the 2006 edition of the Commonwealth Games held at Melbourne, Australia.
He and Harpreet Singh scored 586 and 573 respectively to give a total of 1159 points for the pairs event held on 9 October 2010. —He won a silver medal in London Olympics 2012 in 25 metre rapid fire pistol event.
He scored a 574 to bag the silver medal at the event held on 10 October 2010. The Gold was won by fellow Indian Harpreet Singh who scored 580.
2012 London Olympics
Kumar won the Silver Medal in the 25 m rapid fire pistol event at 2012 London Olympics. He finished with an average score of 9.767. Kumar has a score of 293 with 7 inner 10s in the first stage. Vijay's silver was the second medal for India at London 2012.
2014 Asian Games
The Indian trio of Vijay Kumar, Pemba Tamang and Gurpreet Singh won the silver medal in the 25m centre fire event at the 2014 Asian Games, held at Incheon, South Korea. The team scored a total of 1740, two behind gold medalists China
25 metre rapid fire pistol
|Olympic Games||Not held||—||Not held||Silver|
|World Championships||Not held||34th
|Commonwealth Games||Not held|| Gold
|World Cup 1||—||19th
|World Cup 2||—||12th
|World Cup 3||—||37th
|World Cup 4||38th
|World Cup Final||NQ||NQ||NQ||yes||Qualified|
25 metre center-fire pistol
|Commonwealth Games||—||Not held|
25-metre standard pistol
|World Championships||Not held|
|Commonwealth Games||Not held||Olympics 12||Not held|
10 metre air pistol
|Olympic Games||Not held|
|Commonwealth Games||Not held|
|World Cup 1||—|
|World Cup 2||—|
|World Cup 3||89th
|World Cup 4||73rd
|World Cup Final||NQ|
Awards and Recognitions
- Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM) - announced in the Republic Day 2013 award list.
- Sena Medal (SM)
- For the Silver medal at 2012 London Olympics
- ₹1 crore (US$160,000) cash award by the Himachal Government.
- ₹50 lakh (US$79,000) cash award by the Rajasthan Government.
- 3 kg of Gold by Shimoga Gold Palace.
- ₹2.5 million (US$40,000) by Rifle Association of India.
- Promotion from Subedar to Subedar Major by the Indian Army.
- Vijay Kumar bags silver in London Olympics 2012
- NDTV Sports (3 August 2012). "Profile: Vijay Kumar". NDTV. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Vijay Kumar shoots silver medal in 25m Rapid Fire Pistol at London 2012 Olympics". Olympics Medal Tally. 3 August 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- Olympics Shooting: Vijay Kumar wins Silver in 25m rapid fire pistol, becomes the fourth Indian shooter to win a medal in Olympics
- "Vijay Kumar fails to qualify for 10m Air Pistol finals". The Times of India (London). Press Trust of India. 29 July 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Asian Games: Indian men win 25m centre fire pistol silver". rediff news. 26 September 2014. Retrieved 4 November 2014.
- "Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award and Arjuna Awards Announced". Press Information Bureau, Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports. 19 August 2012. Retrieved 2014-08-04.
- "Vijay Kumar wins Olympic silver: Rs 1 crore cash reward announced". The Economic Times. 3 August 2012.
- "Rajasthan announces cash awards for Olympic winners Vijay Kumar, Sushil Kumar, Mary Kom, Saina Nehwal and others". The Times Of India. 13 August 2012.
- Kumar's profile at ISSF
- A blogpost on Vijay Kumar posted just before he won the Silver medal at the London Olympics 2012