||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012)|
|Member of the Rajya Sabha|
2002–2008, 2010 – present
18 December 1955 |
Bantwal, Karnataka, India
|Alma mater||St. Xavier's College, Kolkata|
United Breweries Group,
Kingfisher Airlines (Defunct),
Team Principal of:
|As of 4 May 2011
Source: Government of India
Vijay Mallya (born on 18 December 1955 in Bantwal, Dakshina Kannada, Karnataka) is an Indian industrialist and a second-time member of India's parliament. He is the chairman of the UB Group – an Indian conglomerate, with diverse interests in brewing, distilling, pharmaceuticals, real estate, engineering, fertilizers, biotechnology and information technology.
Mallya attended La Martiniere for Boys school in Kolkata (West Bengal), where he was appointed House Captain (Hastings house) in his final year. He went up to St. Xavier's College, Kolkata., from which he graduated with a Bachelors of Commerce degree. While in college, Mallya was interning in his family businesses. After he graduated, he interned at the American part of Hoechst in the United States.[not in citation given]
At the time of his father's death, Mallya was unanimously elected Chairman of United Breweries. As part of his modernisation bid, he consolidated the various companies under one umbrella group called the "UB Group", spun off non-core and loss-making businesses and focused on the core business of beverage alcohol. Kingfisher beer controls more than 50 per cent market share of India's beer market. The beer is available in 52 countries outside India and leads the way among Indian beers in the international market. United Spirits Ltd., the flagship of the UB Group, has achieved the historic milestone of selling 145 million cases, becoming the largest spirits company in the world by volume.
Kingfisher Airlines, established in 2005, has been unable to pay salaries to its employees for the past several months and is on the verge of going bankrupt. Now the airlines has officially been asked to vacate premises and received eviction notices for defaulting on rent payments on a Mumbai property since November 2011. The license of Kingfisher airlines was suspended on 20 Oct 2012 after it failed to respond to the DGCA. On 1 January 2013 Kingfisher Airlines lost its flying permit after a deadline to renew its suspended licence expired.
Sahara Force India F1 Team
IPL Team : Royal challengers Bangalore
I-League Team : East Bengal and Mohun Bagan A.C.
Mallya has bought some items at auctions that have substantial value in the history of India. In 2004, he bought the sword of Tipu Sultan at an auction in London, and brought it back to India. In March 2009, Mallya bought five personal belongings of Mahatma Gandhi (his iconic eyeglasses, a pocket watch, leather sandals he had made by hand, and a plate and bowl from which he had eaten his last meal) for US$1.8 million in a New York auction that had caused an uproar in India; the government of India had tried and failed to prevent the sale.
Mallya has received several professional awards both in India and overseas. He was conferred an honorary degree of Doctorate of Philosophy in Business Administration, by the Southern California University for Professional Studies of Santa Ana, California (a correspondence school since renamed to California Southern University, and not to be confused with the University of Southern California or the University of California, Irvine) in 1997. In 2010 he was awarded the Entrepreneur of the Year award at The Asian Awards.
On 12 September 2012, an editorial in First-Post India strongly questioned Mallaya's business judgment – suggesting that he might be India's worst businessman.
On 12 October 2012, a non-bailable arrest warrant was issued by the 13th metropolitan sessions court, Hyderabad, against Vijay Mallya, and four other directors of Kingfisher Airlines in relation to a cheque bouncing for a payment to GMR Group.
- "Detailed Profile: Dr. Vijay Mallya". Government of India. Retrieved 11 May 2012.[dead link]
- St. Xavier's College. Sxccal.edu. Retrieved on 17 May 2012.
- "Genesis Dr. Vijay Mallya Chairman". UB Group. Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- Vijay Mallya Rajya Sabha MP. Mallyainparliament.in (18 December 1955). Retrieved on 17 May 2012.
- "Accounting Policy". Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- Whisky – Antiquity, Bagpiper, and Mc Dowell's No 1, Royal Challenges, Signature. Unitedspirits.in. Retrieved on 17 May 2012.
- United Spirits Limited (USL) – Who We Are | About Us. Unitedspirits.in (31 March 2011). Retrieved on 17 May 2012.
- "Kingfisher Airlines engineers strike work". The Times of India. Press Trust of India. 21 Apr 2012. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- ab (21 April 2012). "Kingfisher Airlines Runs Into Payroll Snag". Forbes. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- Fontanelle, James (8 January 2012). "Time running short for Kingfisher Airlines". Financial Times. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- Sean Geary (20 March 2012). "Kingfisher Airlines countdown to bankruptcy". Emerging Money. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- "Kingfisher fails to pay rent, asked to vacate Mumbai offices". IBN Live (Mumbai). Press Trust of India. 4 May 2013. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- Rajya Sabha Polls 2010 | Karnataka Results | Vijay Mallya Wins | Independent. News.oneindia.in (17 June 2010). Retrieved on 17 May 2012.
- Habib Beary Tipu's sword back in Indian hands. BBC (7 April 2004)
- South Asia | India 'helped win Gandhi auction'. BBC News (6 March 2009). Retrieved on 17 May 2012.
- Abhay Singh and Subramaniam Sharma, India Billionaire Mallya Isn't Showing Shareholders Everything, Bloomberg, 20 February 2008.
- The Asian Awards winners list
- Detailed Profile: Dr. Vijay Mallya
- "Worst Business Man".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vijay Mallya.|
- Vijay Mallya itimes Profile
- United Breweries (UB) Group
- Vijay Mallya on Twitter
- United Spirits Limited (USL)
- Kingfisher Airlines Limited – KFA
- Mallya in Parliament
- Force India Formula 1 team
- McDowell Mohun Bagan