Vijayan K. Pillai
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (February 2011)|
|Vijayan K Pillai|
|Alma mater||The University of Iowa
University of Indore
Center for Environmental Planning and Technology, Ahmadabad
University of Kerala
|Occupation||Professor, School of Social Work and PhD Program Director / Graduate Adviser University of Texas at Arlington|
Vijayan K Pillai is Professor, School of Social Work and PhD Program Director / Graduate Adviser at the University of Texas at Arlington.
He received his Ph.D. from the University of Iowa in 1983, with a thesis on "Determinants of the first birth interval."  Prior to joining University of Texas at Arlington, Pillai taught at the University of North Texas, University of Iowa, and University of Zambia. He was the Zellerbach Visiting Professor, University of California, Berkeley, Fall 2004. He has Published nearly 100 papers and book chapters, including 35 peer-reviewed journal articles, and authored/ co authored and edited 13 books/ monographs. His primary interests are in developing countries, human reproduction, gerontology and demography. He is a referee to over thirty international journals.
- Sunil, T. S., and Vijayan K. Pillai. Women's Reproductive Health in Yemen. Amherst, N.Y.: Cambria Press, 2010. ISBN 978-1-60497-662-5
- Review, Reference & Research Book News May 2010
- Littell, Julia H., Jacqueline Corcoran, and Vijayan K. Pillai. Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analysis. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008. ISBN 978-0-19-971686-9 Held in 384 libraries according to 
- Review, Research on Social Work Practice v. 18 no. 5 (Sept. 2008).
- Review, Children & Youth Services Review v. 31 no. 4 (Apr. 2009).
- Crow, Thomas, and Vijayan K. Pillai. Designing a Teenage Pregnancy Prevention Program: The Behavioral Performance Theory. Lewiston, N.Y.: Edwin Mellen Press, 2006. ISBN 978-0-7734-5955-7
- Review, SciTech Book News June 2006
- Weinstein, Jay A., and Vijayan K. Pillai. Demography: The Science of Population. Boston, Mass: Allyn and Bacon, 2001. ISBN 978-0-205-28321-7
- Achola, Paul Pius Waw, and Vijayan K. Pillai. Challenges of Primary Education in Developing Countries: Insights from Kenya. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2000. ISBN 978-1-84014-889-3
- Pillai, Vijayan K., Lyle W. Shannon, and Judith L. McKim., eds. Developing Areas: A Book of Readings and Research. Oxford: Berg, 1995. ISBN 978-1-85973-002-7
- Review WorldViews: A Quarterly Review of Resources for Education and Action Jan 1996 v12 p6
- Pillai, Vijayan K., and Guang-zhen Wang. Women's Reproductive Rights in Developing Countries. Aldershot, Hants, England: Ashgate, 1999. ISBN 978-1-84014-908-1. In 316 libraries according to worldCat
- Review Journal of Economic Literature Dec 1999 v37 i4 p1794
- Review, Reference & Research Book News Nov 1999 v14 p109
- Review, CHOICE: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries Oct 1999 v37 i2 p416(1)
Selected journal articles
His most-cited peer-reviewed journal articles are:
- Pampel, Pillal, V.K. "Patterns and determinants of infant-mortality in developed nations, 1950-1975", Demography volume: 23 issue: 4 pages: 525-542 published: nov 1986.
times cited: 35 .
- Pei XM, Pillai VK, " Old age support in China: The role of the state and the family " International Journal of Aging and Development" Volume: 49 Issue: 3 Pages: 197-212 Published: 1999
Times Cited: 13 (Web of Science)
- Elder Care Giver Burden in South Asian Families in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area
- A Multivariate Analysis of the Working Poor in Texas: Implications for Policy
- UN Jobs Authors
- Vijayan K. Pillai, UT Arlington professor in the School of Social Work, was recently quoted in The Economic Times, India and on the topic of opportunities and challenges for India and China in an era of global-ization, which appeared in India’s Daily News and Analysis