|Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Elevation AMSL||82 ft / 25 m|
Vijayawada Airport (IATA: VGA, ICAO: VOBZ) is situated at a distance of 18 kilometers from Vijayawada, capital city of Andhra Pradesh. The airport is located on National Highway 5 connecting Chennai to Kolkata. It is a mid-sized domestic airport serving interiors of Andhra Pradesh and its neighboring states of India. Its runway was extended to 7,500 feet in 2011, allowing for the operation of bigger aircraft. In anticipation of an increase in air traffic from Vijayawada after it was declared the capital of the Re-organised Andhra Pradesh, the Airports Authority of India (AAI) is developing and making infrastructural changes to the airport.
The airfield served as an army base during the World War II, afterwhich it was converted into a civilian airport. Air Deccan introduced a daily service between Hyderabad and Vijayawada in September 2003. The airport, which had only two flights a day operated by Kingfisher Airlines until early 2011, saw an increase in services that year with Air India introducing services from Delhi to Vijayawada via Hyderabad  and private airlines like Spicejet and Jet Airways introducing a direct flights from Gannavaram to Hyderabad. Air Costa, a regional airline started operations in October 2013, with Vijayawada as its operational hub and Chennai as maintenance hub.
The airport covers an area of 500 acres and is surrounded by farm land. The runway is 2,408 meters long. 4 A321, 2 B737-200 and 1 F-27 can be parked at a time. As an interim measure, AAI will provide facilities like additional check-in counters, a lounge for passengers. The VIP lounge will be expanded and more space will be allocated for airline back-end operations,.
Airlines and destinations
|Air Costa||Bangalore,Coimbatore, Hyderabad, Visakhapatnam, Tirupati.|
|Air India||Delhi, Hyderabad.|
Accidents and incidents
- On 28 August 1980, Vickers Viscount VT-DJC of Huns Air was damaged beyond economic repair when the nosewheel collapsed after the aircraft bounced three times on landing.
- Airport information for VOBZ at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- RAMESH SUSARLA. "Extended airport runway trial begins in Vijayawada". The Hindu. Retrieved August 30, 2011.
- "AAI to make modifications at Gannavaram airport". The Hindu. 18 September 2014. Retrieved 18 September 2014.
- "One more flight for Vijayawada". The Hindu. 23 November 2005. Retrieved 18 September 2014.
- "Another pvt airliner to operate from Gannavaram". The Times of India. Retrieved Mar 14, 2011.
- "Air India launches Delhi-Vijayawada flight". Moneycontrol. Retrieved Oct 27, 2011.
- "Jet Airways launches direct flight to Hyderabad six days a week". The Hindu. Retrieved Mar 28, 2011.
- "ILS equipment calibrated at Gannavaram Airport". The hindu. Retrieved January 28, 2012.
- "Air India's new link between Delhi and Vijayawada". Airindia.com. Retrieved Oct 28, 2011.
- "Accident description". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 8 October 2009.