|IATA: VGA – ICAO: VOBZ
|Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Elevation AMSL||82 ft / 25 m|
Vijayawada Airport (IATA: VGA, ICAO: VOBZ) is situated at a distance of 18 kilometers from the city of Vijayawada on National Highway 5 connecting Chennai to Kolkata. It is a mid-sized domestic airport serving interiors of Andhra Pradesh and its neighboring states of India. Its longest runway is 7,500 feet in length at an elevation of 82 feet, resulting in more flights landing, including the wide-bodied aircraft. Due to an increase in air traffic from this region and by Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act, 2014, Airports Authority of India is developing and making infrastructural changes to the airport.
The airfield served as an army base during the World War II and at that time only defense airlines were the one taking flights from here. Afterwards it became a public airport and started serving the needs of the common people. It is located in an area of 500 acres and is surrounded by farm land. Runway of the airport is 2,408 meters long which can accommodate large flights easily. This airport remains busy because Vijayawada is a famous tourist place and various flights of domestic airlines come to this city.
National Carrier, Air India introduced a new service from Delhi to Vijayawada via Hyderabad from 2011,October 30. An Airbus A-319 with 122 seats capacity will be connected to Vijayawada. Passengers from Vijayawada will have easy connectivity from to Chicago, New York and Toronto with stops (One hour wait - no plane change) at Hyderabad and change of aircraft in New Delhi, but a single ticket is issued from Vijayawada.4 A321, 2 B737-200 and 1 F-27 can be parked at a time.
Private airlines, Spicejet and Jet Airways introduced a direct flight from Gannavaram to Hyderabad. The SpiceJet introduced a 78-seater Q-400 aircraft from September 28, 2011 between Vijayawada and Hyderabad daily - in the morning (8.30 am), While Jet Airways is operating a 62-seater ATR 72-500 aircraft, a direct flight to Hyderabad six days a week and introduced additional flight to Bangalore. Air Costa, a regional domestic airline started operations on 14 Oct 2013, with Vijayawada as its operational hub and Chennai as maintenance hub. It has its destinations to Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Coiambatore. Jet Airways has stopped its services
Airlines and destinations
|Air Costa||Bangalore, Chennai, Coimbatore, Hyderabad, Madurai,Jaipur|
|Air India||Delhi, Hyderabad|
Accidents and incidents
- On 28 August 1980, Vickers Viscount VT-DJC of Huns Air was damaged beyond economic repair when the nosewheel collapsed after the aircraft bounced three times on landing.
- Airport information for VOBZ at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- RAMESH SUSARLA. "Extended airport runway trial begins in Vijayawada". The Hindu. Retrieved August 30, 2011.
- "More flights from Vijayawada". The Times of India. Retrieved Oct 22, 2011.
- "Another pvt airliner to operate from Gannavaram". The Times of India. Retrieved Mar 14, 2011.
- "Air India launches Delhi-Vijayawada flight". Moneycontrol. Retrieved Oct 27, 2011.
- "ILS equipment calibrated at Gannavaram Airport". The hindu. Retrieved January 28, 2012.
- "Air India's new link between Delhi and Vijayawada". Airindia.com. Retrieved Oct 28, 2011.
- "Jet Airways launches direct flight to Hyderabad six days a week". The Hindu. Retrieved Mar 28, 2011.
- "Accident description". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 8 October 2009.