|Full name||Vikas Shive Gowda|
5 July 1983 |
Mysore, Karnataka, India
|Height||2.06 m (6 ft 9 in)|
|Weight||140 kg (310 lb; 22 st) (2014)|
|Sport||Track and field athletics|
|Achievements and titles|
|Personal best(s)||outdoor: 66.28 m
(April 2012, Indian record)
|Updated on 20 September 2009.|
Vikas Gowda (Kannada:ವಿಕಾಸ್ ಗೌಡ) (born 5 July 1983) is an Indian discus thrower and Shot putter. Born in Mysore, he grew up in Frederick, Maryland in the United States. His father, Shive, coached the 1988 Indian Olympic track team.
His personal best throw is 66.28 meters which is also Indian national record in discus throw, achieved in 2012. He contested at the 2008 Beijing Olympics but failed to reach the finals after finishing 22nd in the qualifiers, with a throw of 60.69 m. In 2012 London Olympics, Vikas qualified for the finals, at the fifth place, with a throw of 65.20 m  and finished 8th in the finals. He won his first gold medal in Asian Championships in 2013 in Pune, with a throw of 64.90 meters. He is supported by Olympic Gold Quest. In shot put his personal record stands on 19.62 meters.
His best moment came when he clinched the Gold for India in the 2014 Commonwealth Games with a throw of 63.64m, which made him the second Indian man to win athletics gold, 56 years after Milkha Singh, won the men's 440 yards at the Cardiff 1958 Games.
|2002||World Junior Championships||Kingston, Jamaica||12th|
|2005||Asian Championships||Incheon, South Korea|
|2006||Commonwealth Games||Melbourne, Australia||6th|
|Asian Games||Doha, Qatar||6th||58.28 m|
|2008||Olympic Games||Beijing, PR China||22nd||60.69 m|
|2010||Asian Games||Guangzhou, China||63.13 m|
|Commonwealth Games||New Delhi, India||63.69 m|
|2011||Asian Championships||Kobe, Japan||61.58 m|
|World Championships||Daegu, South Korea||7th||64.05 m|
|2012||Olympic Games||London, United Kingdom||8th||64.79m|
|2013||Asian Championships||Pune, India||64.90 m|
|2014||Commonwealth Games||Glasgow, United Kingdom||63.64 m|
|Asian Games||Incheon, South Korea||62.58 m|
- IAAF Profile
- Tar Heels' Vikas Gowda wins discus title http://www.tarheeltimes.com/article9671.aspx
- "Gowda makes the cut for the discus throw final". The Times Of India. Retrieved 06-08-2012. Check date values in:
- "London Olympics 2012 Discus Throw Results". Retrieved 6 August 2012.
- "Vikas Gowda wins first gold for India at Asian Athletics Championships - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- Srinivasan, Kamesh (07-08-2012). "Gowda makes the cut for discus throw final". The Hindu (Chennai, India). Check date values in:
- "Vikas Gowda is first Indian man to clinch athletics gold in 56 years". India Today. 2 August 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
|This biographical article relating to Indian athletics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|