Screenshot of Vikidia in Spanish
|Web address||fr.vikidia.org (Main French language version)|
|Slogan||The encyclopedia for children (8-13 years) that everyone can improve.|
|Type of site||Wiki|
|Available language(s)||French, Spanish, Italian, Russian and English|
|Created by||All registered users can edit|
|Launched||November 14, 2006|
Vikidia is an online encyclopedia wiki for children, that runs on MediaWiki software. It has been available in both French and Spanish for years, while the Italian and Russian versions were only created recently. The site focuses on presenting articles readable by children from eight to thirteen years of age, as well as providing a resource for those learning Spanish and French. It was inspired by WikiKids (nl), but is independent of it.
The French version reached the threshold of one thousand articles in April 2007, two thousand in September 2007, 3500 in February 2008... 10000 in July 2011 and 15000 in October 2013.
The Spanish version was created in May 2008; the Italian one in 2011; and the Russian one, in 2012.
In January 2014, an English version is being set up (home page, help pages, basic set of templates, embryonic community pages, sample content...). Its public opening hasn't been announced yet.
At its inception, Vikidia allowed both registered and non-registered IP accounts to edit the site. It is still the case in January 2014, with the exception of uploading files (e.g. images) which is reserved to registered users.
In each linguistic version of Vikidia, media files stored both locally and on Wikimedia Commons are directly usable in Vikidia articles.
Vikidia in French is currently run by 23 administrators. Vikidia in Spanish is currently run by 13 administrators and 1 admin bot.
- "Vikidia:About - Vikidia, l’encyclopédie des 8-13 ans" (in (French)). Fr.vikidia.org. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "Wikis for children - OLPC". Wiki.laptop.org. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- Article by Luc Ihaddadène, in Okapi (magazine) (fr), june 2007
- "Statistiques de Vikidia - Vikidia, l’encyclopédie des 8-13 ans" (in (French)). Fr.vikidia.org. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "Le blog des Espaces Publics Numériques de Wallonie : Vikidia, un wikipédia pour les enfants de 8 à 13 ans". Epn-ressources.be. 2009-10-16. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vikidia.|