Screenshot of Vikidia in Spanish
|Slogan||The encyclopedia for children (8-13 years) that everyone can improve.|
Type of site
|Available in||French, Spanish, Italian, Russian and English|
|Created by||Mathias Damour|
|Launched||November 17, 2006 (French version)
February 28, 2014 (English version)
Vikidia is an online encyclopedia wiki for children, that runs on MediaWiki software. It has been available in both French and Spanish for years, while the Italian, Russian and English versions were only created recently. The site focuses on presenting articles suitable for children from eight to thirteen years of age. It may also be a useful resource for those learning Spanish or French. It was inspired by WikiKids (nl), but is independent of it.
The French version reached the threshold of one thousand articles in April 2007, two thousand in September 2007, 3500 in February 2008... 10000 in July 2011 and 15000 in October 2013.
The Spanish version was created in May 2008; the Italian one in 2011; and the Russian one, in 2012.
An English version was launched in February 28, 2014. It is now free for anyone to edit.
At its inception, Vikidia allowed both registered and non-registered IP accounts to edit the site. It is still the case in January 2014, with the exception of uploading files (e.g. images) which is reserved to registered users. However, since May 2014, the use of captchas has been obligatory to make any edit for unregistered and recently registered users, which considerably hinders editing, even for non-vandal contributors.
In each linguistic version of Vikidia, media files stored both locally and on Wikimedia Commons are directly usable in Vikidia articles.
Vikidia in French is currently run by 23 administrators. Vikidia in Spanish is currently run by 13 administrators and 1 admin bot.
- "Vikidia:About - Vikidia, l’encyclopédie des 8-13 ans" (in French). Fr.vikidia.org. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "Wikis for children - OLPC". Wiki.laptop.org. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- Article by Luc Ihaddadène, in Okapi (magazine) (fr), june 2007
- Vikidia in English opens today, let’s build a children wiki encyclopedia!, blog.wikimedia.fr, 28/02/2014
- "Statistiques de Vikidia - Vikidia, l’encyclopédie des 8-13 ans" (in French). Fr.vikidia.org. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "Le blog des Espaces Publics Numériques de Wallonie : Vikidia, un wikipédia pour les enfants de 8 à 13 ans". Epn-ressources.be. 2009-10-16. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vikidia.|