|Born||Laura Lynette Vikmanis
September 10, 1968
|Alma mater||California State University, Long Beach|
|Occupation||NFL Cheerleader, dietician, fitness trainer, and author|
|Spouse(s)||Brian Robb (divorced)|
|Children||Courtney Robb (daughter)
Marija Robb (daughter)
|Parents||Linda Horn (mother)
Juris Vikmanis (father)
Laura Lynette Vikmanis (previously Robb; born September 10, 1968) is a professional cheerleader for the Cincinnati Ben–Gals, the cheerleading squad of the Cincinnati Bengals. She is the oldest cheerleader in National Football League history, at 40 years of age when she joined in 2009. She is also a co-author of the book It’s Not About the Pom-Poms.
Vikmanis is from Springboro, Ohio. As a child, Vikmanis danced for Dance Theater Dayton and attended John F. Kennedy Junior High School, where she was a member of the cheerleading squad. She attended Fairmont High School and was a member of the Fairmont Firebird Drill Team. She graduated from Fairmont High School in 1986. After high school, Vikmanis attended California State University, Long Beach where she received a Bachelor's of Science in Dietetics and Food Administration. She is a certified dietitian and personal trainer. Although raised Presbyterian, she married Brian Robb, a Roman Catholic, in a Catholic ceremony. They later had two daughters, who are both competitive cheerleaders. After filing for divorce from her husband on the grounds of abuse, Vikmanis decided to pursue a career in professional cheerleading.
Vikmanis works as a registered dietitian and personal trainer for Nutrition and Wellness Specialists. She works with weight loss, weight management and cardiovascular nutrition. She teaches group fitness classes as well as private personal training sessions. Vikmanis made the squad in 2009. After attending a football game and seeing the cheerleaders, Vikmanis decided she wanted to pursue professional cheerleading. At the age of 39, she tried out for the Ben–Gals and made it all the way to the finals cuts, but was not put on the team. The following year she met a Ben–Gal cheerleader in one of her dance classes, who helped her train for the next tryouts. She tried out again and made it. Since making the Ben–Gals, Vikmanis received huge publicity and has appeared on various television networks and talk shows. In March 2012, her book, co-written by Vikmanis and Amy Sohn, titled It's Not About the Pom-Poms was released. In 2012, Vikmanis would have been dethroned from the honor of being the oldest cheerleader in the league by Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader-hopeful Sharon Simmons, at 55, but Simmons was unable to make the squad.
New Line Cinema picked up the rights to make a film on Vikmanis' life story. The upcoming film, whose name is yet to be released, is being written by Gnomeo and Juliet and Ratatouille writers Emily Cook and Kathy Greenberg.
- It's Not About the Pom-Poms: How a 40-Year-Old Mom Became the NFL's Oldest ... - Laura Vikmanis, Amy Sohn - Google Books
- "Laura Vikmanis, 42, is NFL's oldest cheerleader: Can she keep up with younger girls? | Mail Online". London: Dailymail.co.uk. 2011-01-22. Retrieved 2012-07-09.
- Bishop, Lauren (2012-03-15). "Entertainment | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com". News.cincinnati.com. Retrieved 2012-07-09.
- by. "BARNES & NOBLE | It's Not About the Pom-Poms: How a 40-Year-Old Mom Became the NFL's Oldest Cheerleader-and Found Hope, Joy, and Inspiration Along the Way by Laura Vikmanis, R". Barnesandnoble.com. Retrieved 2012-07-09.
- "Springboro mom a Ben-Gal, among other things". Daytondailynews.com. 2009-11-30. Retrieved 2012-07-09.
- "Spirited Success Story: Oldest NFL Cheerleader Gets Movie Deal – TIME.com". Time. 2011-04-02.
- "The Today Show! | Skinny | Skinny Mom | How to get skinny fast | Get Skinny | Skinny tips by modern fit and Skinny moms". Skinny Mom. 2010-07-26. Retrieved 2012-07-09.[dead link]
- "Second Act: Laura Vikmanis - Yahoo! News". News.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2012-07-09.[dead link]
- "You've Got Laura Vikmanis video from Answers.com Videos". Video.answers.com. Retrieved 2012-07-09.
- "Laura Vikmanis: "Its Not About the Pom-Poms" | Skinny | Skinny Mom | How to get skinny fast | Get Skinny | Skinny tips by modern fit and Skinny moms". Skinny Mom. 2012-03-20. Retrieved 2012-07-09.
- Chase, Chris (2012-05-07). "Grandmother auditions to be Dallas Cowboys cheerleader | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo! Sports". Sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2012-07-09.
- "WHAM Morning News Daily Recap - ROCHESTER'S NEWS LEADER NEWSRADIO 1180 WHAM". Wham1180.com. 2012-07-04. Retrieved 2012-07-09.[dead link]
- Life Story Of NFL's Oldest Cheerleader Laura Vikmanis To Hit The Big Screen | Radar Online