|Born||Ryakal, Medak district, Andhra Pradesh, India|
|Alma mater||Tufts University
University of Chicago
|Occupation||Founder, SKS Microfinance|
|Parents||Akula V. Krishna
Vikram Akula is the founder and former chairperson of SKS Microfinance, an organization that offers microloans and insurance to poor women in impoverished areas of India. Inspired by the Grameen model of Muhammad Yunus he started the SKS Microfinance (SKS stands for Swayam Krishi Sangam) to eradicate poverty and with an approach to profitability. He always had a strong belief that such a kind of institution can only survive if it earns profit unlike government initiatives which dole out small loans with out any strict guidelines causing poor finance discipline among the villagers. Anyways he stepped down as the SKS chairman November 2011.
He is the author of A Fistful of Rice; My Unexpected Quest to End Poverty Through Profitability, published by Harvard Business Press. He is an alumnus of Tufts University, Yale University, and the University of Chicago.
Akula has received several awards for his work with SKS.
- Social Entrepreneur of the Year in India, 2006.
- Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year in India (Start-up, 2006)
- Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year in India (Business Transformation, 2010)
- Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People of the Year in 2006.
- Karmaveer Puraskaar Noble Laureates, 2006-2007.
- World Economic Forum’s Young Global Leader award, 2008.
- Echoing Green Poverty Alleviation Economic Development - 1998 Fellow
- Boss of Indian microfinance firm SKS steps down, BBC, 24 November 2011
- "Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship - Profiles". Schwab Foundation. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- "Entrepreneur of the Year 2011: Start-up companies - Ernst & Young - India". Ernst & Young. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- "EOY 2009 winners - Ernst & Young - India". Ernst & Young. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- Rawe, Julie (2006-04-30). "TIME 100: The People Who Shape Our World - Vikram Akula". Time Magazine. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
- "Karmaveer Puraskar - Awardees by Category". Karmaveer Puraskar. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- "World Economic Forum - Vikram K. Akula". World Economic Forum. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- "Vikram Akula - 1998 Fellow". Echoing Green. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
|This business-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|