Vila Bela da Santíssima Trindade
Vila Bela da Santíssima Trindade is a Brazilian municipality in Mato Grosso with 14,523 (2009) inhabitants. It is located at upper Guaporé River close to the border with Bolivia. It served as the capital of the Captaincy of Mato Grosso from 1752 to 1820.
Today due the to fact that most inhabitants descend from former African slaves the town creates the impression of a town in the African jungle rather than in one the Amazon jungle. The distinct African feeling is also reflected in a yearly festival called Festa do Congo. One of its main events is the Dança do Congo, which is performed at the ruins of the former igreja matriz — a particular type of colonial Portuguese church. Aside from those church ruins, which are the main tourist site of the town, there is a small history museum as well.
The town serves as a hub for trips to the Amazon jungle along the upper Guaporé River and the nearby nature reserve Parque Estadual da Serra de Ricardo Franco. One of the main attractions of the latter is the Cascata dos Namorados (engl. Valentine Cascades).
Vila Bela da Santíssima Trindade is the Brazilian municipality with the longest name, with 32 characters.
- ESTIMATIVAS DAS POPULAÇÕES RESIDENTES, EM 1º DE JULHO DE 2009 (retrieved 2010-10-11)
- David Price: Pareci, Cabixi, Nambiquara. A case study in the western classification of native peoples. In: Journal de la Société des Américanistes. Tome 69, 1983, p. 129-148, doi : 10.3406/jsa.1983.2228 (Online-Kopie)
- Aline Romio: Dança do Congo é atração no último dia de festa em Vila Bela - official note from 2010-7-20 on a website of the state of Mato Grosso (portuguese, retrieved 2010-10-15)
- Mato Grosso: The Lost World at the website of The Independent on Sept. 9 2001 (retrieved 2010-10-13)
- Karin-Marijke Vis: Tourism in Vila Bela da Santíssima Trindade (URL: http://www.suite101.com/content/tourism-in-vila-bela-da-santissima-trindade-a198339 ) and Outdoor Activities in the Guaporé Valley, Brazil (URL: http://www.suite101.com/content/outdoor-activities-in-the-guapore-valley-brazil-a198313 ) (both retrieved 2010-10-15)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vila Bela da Santíssima Trindade.|
- Pantanal Escapes - Travel Guide and Tourism in Vila Bela da Santíssima Trindade
- Vila Bela da Santíssima Trindade - entry at the community pages of the state Mato Grosso
- VILA BELA DA SANTISSIMA TRINDADE - 1º Capital de Mato Grosso – blog entry with information and pictures of Vila Bela and its surroundings
- Vila Bela da Santíssima Trindade - pictures of Vila Bela and its surroundings at Panoramio