|Transit type||Rapid transit Light rail|
|Number of lines||3|
Vilnius Metro (Lithuanian: Vilniaus metropolitenas) is a proposed rapid transit system in the Lithuanian capital Vilnius. Three lines are currently proposed to connect the busiest and most populous city districts. Its purpose is the relief of traffic congestion, which increased significantly in the 1990s and 2000s. In 2001 Mayor Artūras Zuokas requested international support for a feasibility study of the proposed system. The proposal was approved as part of the city's master plan by the Vilnius Municipal Council in 2002. Systra was chosen by the city as a study partner; the Scott Wilson Group conducted a public-private financing feasibility study during 2005 and 2006.
As of 2007, the project was the subject of intense debate by politicians and citizens. The concerns include cost (an estimated 3 billion litas), the possibility that vibrations would damage the historic buildings in Vilnius Old Town, and the perception that streets would be closed.
- "Vilnius is Becoming a Bridge Between Eastern and Western Europe". Vilnius city municipality. 2002. Retrieved 2008-10-04. "A new and modern means of transportation to be introduced into Vilnius City in the near future is considered now. That is the fast tramway, the routes of which shall connect the main city districts with the centre and workplaces."
- (Lithuanian) "Metro šalininkai siūlo Vilniui tris linijas ir tiltą". delfi.lt. 2007. Retrieved 2008-10-04.
- (Lithuanian) "Tramvajus ar metropolitenas Vilniaus urbanistinėje struktū roje" (PDF). Gediminas Technical University. 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-04.
- "Riga and Vilnius tackle traffic". The Baltic Times. 2007. Retrieved 2008-10-04.
- "Seminar: Planning for Sustainable Transport" (PDF). Association for European Transport. Retrieved 2008-10-04. "In September 2001, Systra has been chosen to assist the Municipality in defining a LRT scheme and design the technical characteristics of the first line."
- "Preparation of feasibility study for Vilnius Tram Project financing by the private sector, Lithuania". Scott Wilson Group. Retrieved 2008-10-05.
- "Outline of the ‘Vilnius Tram Project’" (PDF). UNESCO. 2006. Retrieved 2008-10-06.
- "A tram ride into the future". The Baltic Times. 2007. Retrieved 2008-10-05.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vilnius Metro.|
- Vilnius Metro project - a non-governmental organization that is popularizing the idea of a metro in Vilnius
|This article about a Lithuanian building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This rapid transit-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|