|Born||Pannankombu, Trichy, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Years active||2004; 2007–present|
Vimal is an Indian film actor, who appears in Tamil films. Following cameo appearances in the Vijay-starrer Ghilli and Kuruvi and Ajith Kumar's Kireedam, he played the lead role in Pandiraj's critically acclaimed Pasanga (2009). Subsequently, he played lead roles in several low-budget productions. He established himself as a successful upcoming actor with Kalavani (2010), Vaagai Sooda Vaa (2011), Kalakalappu (2012) and Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga (2013).
Early life and career
Vimal was born to Narasimhan and Ramani in Pannankombu, a village near Manapparai and later moved to Chennai. He discontinued his studies and began learning dancing and joined the Koothu-P-Pattarai, a theatre group in Chennai.
While being a part of Koothu-P-Pattarai, Vimal was appearing in uncredited roles in several high-profile Tamil films, including Ghilli (2004), Kireedam (2007) and Kuruvi (2008), starring noted lead actors Vijay and Ajith Kumar. He played his first leading role in Pasanga (2008), directed by Pandiraj, in which he played Meenakshisundaram, an insurance agent. The film won critical acclaim, while his performance was well-received. He next appeared in A. Sarkunam's comedy entertainer Kalavani (2010) which went on to become a sleeper hit. His other 2010 film was Maattuthaavani which was long-delayed and went unnoticed. In 2011, he acted in three films, Cloud Nine Movies' Thoonga Nagaram, Eththan and Vaagai Sooda Vaa, which saw him collaborating with A. Sarkunam again. Vaagai Sooda Vaa was a period piece set in the 1960s, with Vimal playing a village teacher named Veluthambi. His next release was Ishtam, a remake of Telugu hit Yemaindhi Ee Vela, in which he played an urban character for the first time. He was then seen in UTV's comedy film Kalakalappu under Sundar C's direction that features an ensemble cast.
Vimal is currently working on more than half-a-dozen projects. He has completed Padmamagan's Netru Indru and C. S. Amudhan's Rendavathu Padam co-starring Richard Rishi and Aravind Akash. He is shooting for two remakes, Jannal Oram and Pulivaal, both remakes of Malayalam films, Manja Pye and Anjalai. Vimal had also signed Unmai Sonnal Nesippaya, a film based on real incidents to be directed by newcomer Ravi, and a film to be directed by Thirumurugan, who played villain in his film Kalavani.
On December 12, 2010, Vimal got married in a manner portrayed by him in 'Kalavani' In 'Kalavani', its protagonist Vimal would marry the girl of his choice despite opposition from her parents. And in real life too, the actor did the same thing by entering wedlock with his girlfriend, who happens to be his relative's daughter.
Vimal and Akshaya aka Priyadarsini, a medical college student in Chennai, were in love with each other. However, her parents allegedly opposed the affair, saying they were not interested in their daughter marrying an actor.
Following this, Akshaya left for Kumbakonam, where Vimal was shooting for a film. From there, they went to a Murugan temple and tied the knot.
Says Vimal, "We have no other option since Akshaya's parents were looking for a doctor groom for her",.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2004||Ghilli||Saravanavelu's teammate||Uncredited role|
|2007||Kireedam||Shaktivel's friend||Uncredited role|
|2008||Kuruvi||Refugee in Cuddapah||Uncredited role|
|2009||Pasanga||Meenakshi Sundaram||Vijay Award for Best Debut Actor|
|Vaagai Sooda Vaa||Veluthambi|
|2013||Sillunu Oru Sandhippu||Ashok|
|Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga||Kesavan|
|Moondru Per Moondru Kaadhal||Varun|
|2014||Ninaithathu Yaaro||Himself||Cameo appearance|
|Kathai Thiraikathai Vasanam Iyakkam||Himself||Cameo appearance|
|Oru Oorla Rendu Raja||Azhagu|
|Nee Yellam Nalla Varuvada||Filming|
|Mappillai Singam||Filming |
|Mannar Vagera||Filming |
- Rao, Subha J (12 November 2011). "Only Vemal!". The Hindu (Chennai, India).
- "Kalavani goes places". The Times Of India. 22 July 2010.
- "In quest of victory! – Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 8 May 2011. Retrieved 10 November 2011.
- "Sundar C's next - 'Masala'". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- "Latest on Amudhan's 'Rendavadhu Padam'". Indiaglitz.com. 2011-11-11. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- "'Chappa Kurishu' turns 'Pulival' in Kollywood - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Vimal in 'Unmai Sonnal Nesippaya'". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 9 November 2011.
- "விமலின் அடுத்தடுத்த படங்கள்". Indiaglitz.com. 2011-11-07. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- "Actor Vimal weds his sweetheart". The Times Of India. 29 December 2010.
- "'Kalavani' style wedding for Vimal". Indiaglitz.com. 2010-12-28. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- "Again Vimal paired with Anjali". Dinamalar. Nov 12, 2014.
- "An Interesting title for an upcoming comedy entertainer". Behindwoods. May 22, 2015.