|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010)|
|Died||August 22, 1977
|Known for||Hindi Cinema|
Vimi was a Punjabi girl who married Shiv Agarwal, son of an Industrialist. Music Director Ravi got introduced to her at a party in Calcutta and later invited her and Shiv to Mumbai. He introduced them to B. R. Chopra and that is how Vimi got her first film.
As Sunil Dutt sang to her (Na Sar Jhuka Ke Jeeo, Na Munh Chhupako Jeeo) the enchanting image of Vimi won the viewers' hearts. The film was a hit but Vimi seemed to be more interested in what she was wearing and her make-up rather than in the character. After separating from her husband Shiv, Vimi started living with small-time film producer Jolly but her film career never picked up. She soon turned to alcohol which killed her. She died on August 22, 1977 in Mumbai. When she died, there was not enough money to even cremate her. She was taken on a 'thela' by Jolly and a couple of other well-wishers to the Santacruz crematorium. But she is still remembered for her fragile, out-of- the- world beauty.
Songs picturised on her:
- Tum Agar Saath Dene Ka Wada Karo - Hamraaz (1967)
- Na Muh Chupaake Jiyo - Hamraaz (1967)
- Neele Gagan Ke Tale - Hamraaz (1967)
- Kisi Pathar Ki Moorat Se - Hamraaz (1967)
- Aap Se Pyar Hua - Aabroo (1968)
- Jinhe Hum Bhulna Chahe - Aabroo (1968)
- Thoda ruk jayegi to tera kya jayega - Patanga (1971)
- Hamraaz (1967)
- Aabroo (1968)
- Nanak Naam Jahaz Hai (1969)
- Patanga (1971)
- Guddi (1971)
- Kahin Aar Kahin Paar (1971)
- Kahani hum sab ki (1973)
- Vachan (1974)
- Premi Gangaram(1978)
- The Times of India directory and year book including who's who. Bennett, Coleman & Co. 1979. p. 241.