Vincent Arthur Smith
|Vincent Arthur Smith|
June 3, 1848|
Dublin, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland
|Died||February 6, 1920
|Occupation||Indologist, art historian|
Vincent Arthur Smith, CIE, (1848–1920) was a British Indologist and art historian.
Smith was born in Dublin on June 3, 1848 which was then part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. He worked in the Indian Civil Service between 1871–1900 and retired early to devote himself to his writing. He was elected a foundation scholar of Trinity College, Dublin, where he also served as president of the University Philosophical Society in 1868-69.
- General index to the reports of the Archaeological Survey of India: Volumes I to XXIII, with a glossary and general table of contents, Simla, Government Central Press, 1887. - Varanasi: Indological Book House, 1969
- William Henry Sleeman (ed.): Rambles and Recollections of an Indian official, Westminster Reprint edition of the 1893 (2 volumes), New Delhi: Asian Educational Services, 1995
- Preface to Purna Chandra Mukherji: A report on a tour of exploration of the antiquities of Kapilavastu Tarai of Nepal during February and March, 1899, Calcutta: Office of the Superintendent of Government Printing, 1901; Delhi Indological Book House, 1969.
- "The Kushān, or Indo-Scythian, Period of Indian History, B.C. 165 to A.D. 320," pp. 1–64 in Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society (London), 1903.
- "Catalogue of the Coins in the Indian Museum Calcutta", in The Cabinet of the Asiatic Society of Bengal: Part 1, Oxford, 1906
- Smith, Vincent Arthur (1907). History of India: From Sixth century B.C to Mohammedan Conquest (Vol. 2). London, Grolier society.
- A history of fine art in India and Ceylon from the earliest times to the present day, Oxford, 1911
- Smith, Vincent Arthur (1917). Akbar the Great Mogul, 1542-1605. Oxford at The Clarendon Press.
- The Oxford history of India : from the earliest times to the end of 1911, Oxford : Clarendon Press, 1920
- Asoka, the Buddhist emperor of India, 1 ed. Oxford 1901; 3rd ed., Rulers of India series, Oxford : Clarendon Press, 1920
- A history of fine art in India and Ceylon from the earliest times to the present day, 2. rev ed., Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1930
- François Bernier (ed.), Travels in the Mogul Empire, AD 1656–1668. Reprint, Delhi: Low Price Publications, 1994.
- The Jain Stûpa and other antiquities of Mathurâ, 2nd ed., Varanasi : Indological Book House, 1969.
- Early History of India
- "Smith, Vincent Arthur". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/36164. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
|Wikisource has original works written by or about:
Vincent Arthur Smith