Vincent Lam (born September 5, 1974) is a Canadian writer and medical doctor.
Born in London, Ontario and raised in Ottawa, his parents came to Canada from the Chinese expatriate community in Vietnam. He attended St. Pius X High School and did his medical training at the University of Toronto, graduating in 1999. He now works as an emergency physician at Toronto East General Hospital and also does international air evacuation work and expedition medicine on Arctic and Antarctic ships.
Lam's first two published works, the medical guide The Flu Pandemic and You and the short story collection Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures, are based on his experiences in medical school. Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures won the 2006 Scotiabank Giller Prize, Canada's richest and most prestigious literary award, on November 7, 2006. Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures was also a finalist for The Story Prize in 2008.
Following Lam's Giller win, Shaftesbury Films announced that it had reached a deal to adapt Bloodletting into a television series, which debuted in January 2010 on HBO Canada.
Lam published a biography of Canadian politician Tommy Douglas, as part of Penguin Canada's Extraordinary Canadians series of historical biographies.
His first novel, The Headmaster's Wager, was published in 2012 by Doubleday Canada and has been shortlisted for the 2012 Governor General's Literary Award.
He currently lives with his wife and children in Toronto.
- Val Ross (November 9, 2006). "Prizewinning fiction, pure and undoctored". The Globe and Mail.
- M. G. Vassanji, The Book of Secrets (1994)
- Rohinton Mistry, A Fine Balance (1995)
- Margaret Atwood, Alias Grace (1996)
- Mordecai Richler, Barney's Version (1997)
- Alice Munro, The Love of a Good Woman (1998)
- Bonnie Burnard, A Good House (1999)
- Michael Ondaatje, Anil's Ghost / David Adams Richards, Mercy among the Children (2000)
- Richard B. Wright, Clara Callan (2001)
- Austin Clarke, The Polished Hoe (2002)
- M. G. Vassanji, The In-Between World of Vikram Lall (2003)
- Alice Munro, Runaway (2004)
- David Bergen, The Time in Between (2005)
- Vincent Lam, Bloodletting & Miraculous Cures (2006)
- Elizabeth Hay, Late Nights on Air (2007)
- Joseph Boyden, Through Black Spruce (2008)
- Linden MacIntyre, The Bishop's Man (2009)
- Johanna Skibsrud, The Sentimentalists (2010)
- Esi Edugyan, Half-Blood Blues (2011)
- Will Ferguson, 419 (2012)
- Lynn Coady, Hellgoing (2013)