|170th Speaker of the New Jersey General Assembly|
January 14, 2014
|Preceded by||Sheila Oliver|
|Member of the New Jersey General Assembly
from the 32nd district
January 13, 2004
|Preceded by||Anthony Impreveduto|
September 11, 1960 |
|Alma mater||Middlesex County College
Bergen Community College
Vincent Prieto (born September 11, 1960) is an American Democratic Party politician, who has served as the 170th Speaker of the New Jersey General Assembly since January 14, 2014. He has served in the New Jersey General Assembly since 2004, where he represents the 32nd Legislative District. He is the current Chairman of the Hudson County Democratic Organization.
Prieto serves as the Chairman of the Budget Committee and chairs the Budget Oversight Committee. He is also is a member of the Appropriations Committee. Prieto served in the Assembly as the Deputy Majority Whip from 2006.-2011- He previously served in the Assembly on the Regulated Professions Committee (as Chair) and the Transportation, Public Works and Independent Authorities Committee.
Prieto is a Cuban-American. In 1971, he and his mother took a Freedom Flight (air-lift resettlement program offering alien resident status to Cuban exiles) and moved to North Hudson County at a time when it was known as Havana on the Hudson.
Prieto served on the Secaucus Planning Board from 1998-2001. He was selected by Hudson County Democratic Party leaders in December 2004 to fill the vacancy of Anthony Impreveduto, who resigned after pleading guilty to using campaign contributions for personal purposes.
Each of the forty districts in the New Jersey Legislature has one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The other representatives from the 32nd District for the 2012-2013 Legislative Session are:
- Freidman, Matt (October 22, 2013). ": Prieto formalizes support to become speaker with signed letter". The Star-Ledge. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- Assemblyman Prieto's legislative web page, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed April 13, 2008.
- Adriana Rambay Fernández, Stephen LaMarca, Gennarose Pope, Ray Smith, Al Sullivan and E. Assata Wright. "They've Got the Power". The Union City Reporter. January 8, 2012. Pages 1, 4-7 and 10-11.
- Sullivan, Al; Davis, Carlo; Schwartz, Art; Passantino, Joseph (January 18, 2015). The Union City Reporter, pp 1, 5, 9, 12
- Quigley, Joan (December 24, 2013). ": From humble start, Prieto rises to set the Assembly agenda". The Jersey Journal. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- Benson, Josh. "UP FRONT: WORTH NOTING; Prioritize, Prioritize", The New York Times, December 26, 2004. Accessed August 7, 2009.
- Assemblyman Prieto's legislative web page, New Jersey Legislature
- New Jersey Legislature financial disclosure forms - 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004