|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. (March 2013)|
|Occupation||Associate Professor at University of Liège|
|Notable work(s)||Our emotional Makeup. Ethnopsychology and Selfhood|
Vinciane Despret first graduated in Philosophy. She studied Psychology and graduated in 1991. She is most known as having provided a reflexive account on ethologists observing babblers in the Nagev desert and the way they would interpret those bird's complex danse moves.
She is considered to be a foundational thinker in what has now became the field of Animal studies. More generally, at the heart of works lies the question of the relationships between observers and observed during the conduct of scientific research.
Despret affiliates herself to such critical thinkers in philosophy and anthropology of science as Isabelle Stengers, Donna Haraway or Bruno Latour. She undertakes a critical understanding of how science is fabricated, following scientists doing fieldwork and the way they actively create links and specific relationships to their objects of study.
Although she mostly published books in French so far, some of her works will be published in English in the course of late 2012.
- "The Body We Care for: Figures of Anthropo-zoo-genesis", Body & Society, 2004, 10:2-3, 111-134.
- Our emotional Makeup. Ethnopsychology and Selfhood. New York : Other Press, 2004.
- "Sheep do have Opinions", in B. Latour & P. Weibel (eds), Making Things Public. Atmospheres of Democracy, 2006, Cambridge (MA) : M.I.T. Press, 360-370.
- "Ecology and Ideology : the Case of Ethology", International Problems, vol. XXXIII.63 (3-4) : 45-61.
- "The Becoming of Subjectivity in Animal Worlds", Subjectivity, 2008, 23, 123-129.
- with Isabelle Stengers, Les faiseuses d'histoires. Que font les femmes à la pensée?, Paris, La Découverte (Les empêcheurs de penser en rond), 2011.
- with Jocelyne Porcher, Etre Bête, Arles, Actes sud, 2007.
- A short profile introduction is to be found on the website of her editor, "La Découverte", in Paris: http://www.editionsladecouverte.fr/catalogue/index-Les_faiseuses_d_histoires-9782359250473.html
- For instance, one would listen to this podcast of Despret interviewing the Primatologist Thelma Rowell — http://backdoorbroadcasting.net/2011/06/vinciane-despret-experimenting-with-politics-and-happiness-through-sheep-cows-and-pigs/