|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
A vingtaine (literally "group of twenty" in French) is a political subdivision of Jersey. They are subdivisions of the various parishes of Jersey, and one, La Vingtaine de la Ville (The Vingtaine of the town), in Saint Helier is further divided into two cantons.
St. Ouen has cueillettes (Jèrriais: Tchilliettes) instead of vingtaines.
In each vingtaine, vingteniers and Constable's officers (in French: officiers du Connétable) are elected as part of Jersey's Honorary Police system. They do not have to live within the vingtaine or cueillette they represent, but they must live in the parish they represent (except in St. Helier, where ratepayers and mandataires are eligible).
Vingteniers are elected by a Parish Assembly of electors and ratepayers for a term of three years but are elected to a particular vingtaine (or cueillette) in that Parish. Vingteniers carry out general community policing in the parish, and fulfill administrative roles within their vingtaine in respect of tasks such as the Visite du Branchage.
Roads Inspectors are elected to serve a vingtaine or cueillette at an Assembly of the electors of the Parish. They are responsible to for maintaining the highways and byways of the Vingtaine. Along with Honorary Police they are sworn in as officers by the Royal Court. Roads Inspectors report to and must enforce the decisions of the Roads Committee of the Parish.
By parish, the vingtaines are as follows-
- La Vingtaine des Marais
- La Vingtaine de la Rue
- La Vingtaine de Longueville
- La Vingtaine de la Rocque
The Minquiers are part of the parish of Grouville, but are uninhabited.
- La Vingtaine de la Ville
- La Vingtaine du Rouge Bouillon
- La Vingtaine de Bas du Mont au Prêtre
- La Vingtaine de Haut du Mont au Prêtre
- La Vingtaine du Mont à l'Abbé
- La Vingtaine du Mont Cochon
- La Vingtaine de la Vallée
- La Vingtaine du Coin Hâtain
- La Vingtaine du Coin Motier
- La Vingtaine du Coin Tourgis Nord
- La Vingtaine du Coin Tourgis Sud
- La Vingtaine de Rozel
- La Vingtaine de Faldouet
- La Vingtaine de la Quéruée
- La Vingtaine de l'Église
- La Vingtaine du Fief de la Reine
The Écréhous are part of the parish of St. Martin, but are uninhabited.
Unusually, the subdivisions of this parish are not named vingtaines.
- La Petite Cueillette
- La Grande Cueillette
- La Cueillette de Grantez
- La Cueillette de Millais
- La Cueillette de Vinchelez
- La Cueillette de Léoville
- La Vingtaine du Douet
- La Vingtaine de St. Nicolas
- La Grande Vingtaine
- La Vingtaine des Augerez
- La Vingtaine du Coin Varin
- La Vingtaine de Maufant
- La Vingtaine de Sous la Hougue
- La Vingtaine des Pigneaux
- La Vingtaine de la Grande Longueville
- La Vingtaine de la Petite Longueville
- La Vingtaine de Sous l'Église
- La Vingtaine de la Ville-à-l'Évêque
- La Vingtaine de Rozel
- La Vingtaine du Rondin
- La Vingtaine des Augrès
- La Vingtaine de la Croiserie